Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Needed - Kepad for counter cct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nkosana

Hi,
I'm trying to replace a lost numeric keypad for a scoreboard using four 7-segment display. My circuit uses a PIC16C621A-04P microcontroller. The inputs from the keypad goes to pin 11 of the PIC and also through a 10K resistor to pin 10. The cct also uses a CD4504BE CMOS Hex voltage shifter, MM74C164N shift register, and MC14511BCP decoder/driver. I do not have a cct diagram and not very familiar with encoding ccts. HELP!!
WILL AN EXTERNAL COMPUTER NUMERIC KEYPAD WORK?

Start with a simple one: "my circuit uses a PIC..." Is it really your design & software?
If yes: reengineering a different keypad is straightforward
If no: you may trace the circuit, but you'll probably never determine the software. You Will Need BOTH to replace the keypad.

I Very recently had to change the RF link on a set of baseball scoreboards designed by a friend who passed away before doing it himself. After a day and half of mapping the uC to the drivers and trying to follow his code, it was obvious that I just rewrite the software instead of trying to put the spaghetti back in the box.

Bear in mind, I had his source code to work from and couldn't follow it! Three days later, (1 for the keypad/transmitter, 2 for the receiver, display & drivers) I had a working system with stable ANNOTATED code. I suggest this to be your shortest path as well. Good Hunting... <<<)))

Thanks OlPhart. You got me thinking in the right direction. The work doesn't get any easier though. A program rewrite is my only solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back