Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative ION Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteknight

I have recently built this project Negative ION detector following these instructions.
**broken link removed**

But so far have been unable to make it work ie detect negative ions have visual checked over everything seems ok but still dead nothing at all coming from the unit is their anything anyone could suggest or check. I am new to this so please forgive me . I am trying to put this together for my local paranormal investigation group . Any help or pointers gratefully received .

Thanks in advance

I fail to see how the circuit will work for several reasons.
1. Q1 and Q2 are PNP transistors and the collectors are tied to the + 9V
supply. This is the wrong polarity for PNP transistors.
Perhaps the schematic is wrong and the emitters should be connected to the +9V.
2. M1 is specificed a 100mA, way too much current for a typical 9V battery.
Perhaps it should be 100uA.
3. The 100M ohm resistor is in the wrong place. Perhaps it should be connected from base to ground.

**broken link removed** appears to have the original schematic, with the proper battery polarity. The only error I see in it is that the PN2222 is an NPN (which it needs to be), but is drawn as a PNP.
I don't know if it works, but it might.:D

This electroscope circuit is very sensitive and works well for detecting negative ions (i.e. the charge on a comb after running it through your hair):

http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/chargdet.html

Add a mA ammeter in series with the led (or in place of it) for a quantitative reading of the electric field.

And here's another variation on the same theme:

http://www.vk2zay.net/article.php/9

Once you build it, it's really a lot of fun to play with!

Last edited:
TheWhiteknight said:
I have recently built this project Negative ION detector following these instructions.
**broken link removed**

But so far have been unable to make it work ie detect negative ions have visual checked over everything seems ok but still dead nothing at all coming from the unit is their anything anyone could suggest or check. I am new to this so please forgive me . I am trying to put this together for my local paranormal investigation group . Any help or pointers gratefully received .

Thanks in advance

Maybe it needs something from beyond nearby before it works :D Do ghosts emit negative ions?

Well it is certainly one theory which does seem to circulate the paranormal community although nobody really knows for certain . I think it is important to explore every possible avenue ! Any help is greatly appriciated thanks .

TheWhiteknight said:
Just wondered with the electroscope circuit Thanks PC88 just wondered
if it would be possible to incorparate a RF transmitter / receiver to monitor remotely the affects of static on this circuit https://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/chargdet.html if so ? What would I need and how easy or difficult would it be ? thanks in advance

Wireless data acquisition is doable for hobbyists, but it all depends on how much effort you're willing spend and how much you're willing to pay. Do you have any experience with programming a microcontroller? Are you willing to spend $100 or more for a pair of radio modules? There are cheaper solutions, but they require more work on your part (programming, circuit interfacing).

TheWhiteknight said:
Well it is certainly one theory which does seem to circulate the paranormal community although nobody really knows for certain . I think it is important to explore every possible avenue ! Any help is greatly appriciated thanks .
Did you try building the original schematic, the link to which I posted previously?

PC88

Im afraid i dont have any experience programming a microcontroller . But am willing to spend 100$ or more do this would you recommend any books to perhaps aid me in doing this perhaps ? I willing to put the effort in just need the right direction . Thanks

Roff said:
Did you try building the original schematic, the link to which I posted previously?

Hi Ron , I did try the original schematic but still didnt work thanks for posting it though . Not really sure why it didnt work.

TheWhiteknight said:
PC88

Im afraid i dont have any experience programming a microcontroller . But am willing to spend 100$ or more do this would you recommend any books to perhaps aid me in doing this perhaps ? I willing to put the effort in just need the right direction . Thanks

I would first learn how to program microcontrollers - that alone will help you tremendously with your electronics projects. After you're comfortable with uC's, interfacing them with RF modules will be a lot easier.

Which uC to begin with depends a lot on where you are located and what is available. Do you know other people locally who are into electronics? Is there a robotics group in your area? Using the same devices that they are using might save you a lot of time and frustration.

Otherwise, my preference would be to use Atmel devices, but PIC uC's will work just fine. The Arduino is a popular uC platform that uses the Atmel atmega168, and it's relatively easy to learn to use. Perhaps others can suggest a good introductory PIC platform.

Hi PC88 thankyou very much for your help and advice have tried to look for some local groups but nothing in my area . i have decided to purchase book which seems to go through the basics before I can progress onto the more complicated stuff . It's definatley a place to start . Thankyou

tried to look for some local groups but nothing in my area
If you conceal your "area" then you reduce your chance of finding a (local) group. Your profile can help us help you.

If you conceal your "area" then you reduce your chance of finding a (local) group. Your profile can help us help you.

Good idea done thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back