Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative power regulators? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I ordered some parts from electronic goldmine, and one of the items was a semiconductor grab bag. It came with 50 brand new components, including V-regs, transistors, MOSFETs, and some logic chips. One of the v-regulators is a 7906. It supplies -6v at 1 amp. What is the point of a negative regulator? Is it like a - side of a battery? How could I use this?

Oh, what other uses could I use this for? Is this like the negative side of a battery?

Negative side of a single battery is consider ground. If you have 2 batteries in series, +ve side is the +ve supply, -ve side is the -ve supply and their joint is the ground.
If you want to get -ve supply from a battery, say 9 V battery. It can supply +-4.5 V whereas you can use voltage devider to make 4.5 V from 9 V, and take that point as ground reference.
audioguru has very nice diagram for the single supply of op-amp.

Souper man said:
Oh, what other uses could I use this for? Is this like the negative side of a battery?

Not exactly, think of it as two 12 volt batteries where you connect the negative terminal of #1 battery to the positive terminal of #2 battery and this connection is also brought out to become the circuit common. Now measuring from this circuit common you will read +12 from the #1 battery positive terminal and and also -12 from the #2 batteries negative terminal. This will make sense when you understand that if you measure, in this set-up, from #1 battery positive to #2 battery negative you will see 24 volts total.

Clear? In a circuit that requires both a positive and negative regulated voltages (relative to circuit common), the positive and negative regulators will perform the same function as the two batteries in the example above.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back