neon sign transformer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I'm looking into building a tesla coil. I picked up a neon sign transformer off ebay a few years ago. (I've been thinking about building one for awhile).
I dunno if this one will work or not. It must be for the UK or something because its rated at 240V 50Hz input. But we use 60 Hz here in the states, so will I be able to use this?

Its not all that powerful though, so I'm considering buying another one anyways :twisted:

50/60Hz makes very little difference, so it should be fine off your 220V sockets.

I have a bunch of Neon transformers.
All rated at 110volts in, 60 hz and 15,000 volts out. Some at 30 mA out and some at 60 mA out.

There cheap enough, Except for the Shipping cost.

Or if you want I have an X-ray Transformer 220 in at 100 amps and 125,000 out. Only Weigs about 200 pounds or so.

Gary

Eh Jeff, what is the current output on your transformer? I bought one off ebay (for only $23 if i remember right :lol: ) and the current output is 30mA. I'd like to make a tesla coil and I wonder if mine can handle it.

the output is only 15kV and 20mA. kinda small, but some people have used smaller. (6kV 30mA).
I'm not gonna be shooting 4 ft sparks, but it should be big enough to scare the neighbors :twisted:

Could I run this NST off 120V as Mr. Guru said? I have a 120V varac that I'd like to use. but the NST is rated at 240v.

Also, I'm planning on using these caps here: https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G14499&variation=&aitem=52&mitem=84 for my tank circuit.

Chemelec, roughly how much do those NSTs that you have weigh? how much would you be looking to get for them (w/o shipping)? (the 15kV ones...I wont be needing that Xray transformer...yet anyway :twisted: )

EDIT: Anyone know of a good forum for HV type stuff like this? I tried googleing but I couldnt find anything.

that was pretty much the only result I got from googling. I cant figure out how to register for that forum though.

jrz126 said:
that was pretty much the only result I got from googling. I cant figure out how to register for that forum though.

You know, I was on that forum's old version, and I never got onto the new one I quoted you for the exact same reason. It's not just you!

Well I went ahead and ordered those caps from electronics goldmine, but I'm still curious if I can run my 240V neon sign transformer off of 120V. woud it just cut the voltage output in half? 7.5kv instead of 15kv?

jrz126 said:
Well I went ahead and ordered those caps from electronics goldmine, but I'm still curious if I can run my 240V neon sign transformer off of 120V. woud it just cut the voltage output in half? 7.5kv instead of 15kv?

Yes it would.

jrz126 said:
Chemelec, roughly how much do those NSTs that you have weigh? how much would you be looking to get for them (w/o shipping)? (the 15kV ones...I wont be needing that Xray transformer...yet anyway :twisted: )

I Can't remember the exact Weight, I would need to weigh them again.

But if my memory is correct, the Postage cost to the USA would be about $45.00 or so.

If your interested, I could weigh them again. But Which One? the 30 Ma or the 60 Ma?

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…