Netbook: Acer Aspire One

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

Just tried this machine with Windows XP, 160 GB of HDD. Here is what I've found:

PROs
Fast starting time, just in seconds.
No problem for watching movie from the external hardisk (Not lagging).
Light weight and nice color (I've got the pink one ).
I like the multi card reader.
Battery life is longer than I expected (got the 6-cell version, I think can be used 4-5 hours for video/gaming, didn't try).
Webcam is working fine (just tried for capturing pictures, not video conferencing).

CONs
No problem with the volume, but the quality. Just like the sound in a big hall with full of treble.
The USB ports are tight . It's hard to remove the nano receiver for the mouse.
Weak WiFi reception.

Has anyone experienced with this Netbook?

Thanks

Seems like the positives outweigh the negatives, except for the WiFi receiption. Bad audio is common in laptops, and tight ports are pretty much normal in a new pc...they'll loosen up plenty in the months to come.

I have the AAO too, I think it's the same but in brown. I know it's supposed to be lightweight and small, but it is hard to read the screen it's so small. You can't have it all.
By the way, I'm running XP, and the screen resolution is a wee bit too small for it. Sometimes you get windows a bit too large, and buttons get hidden outside the desktop, having to move the window around to acces the buttons.
I have ubuntu installed on it too (dual boot), and I don't seem to have these problems. The only problem I haven't solved with linux yet (/maybe someone here can help me) is finding and installing the linux drivers for the atheros wifi card.

I was looking at a netbook too. I'm leaning toward the ASUS 1000HE with it's 9.5hr battery.

I have the 1000HA, and remember, battery life is when you have advanced power saving, wifi off, backlight nearly off, and all the other little features that you have to turn off. It would be half of that to be realistic

Well I got the 1000HE and the battery life is an easy 7hrs with WiFi & 50% brightness. Got a OCX SSD vortex for it and upped to 2G RAM. Nice little PC.

I agree that the speakers are not that good. My friend's Aspire One got his speakers busted after a few months of using it. So I think that external speakers should be use on this specially if you are watching a movie.

The eee PC is a great pc for the price. Uses Xp has wifi and the other goo and works great. My wife loves this device and the price is under $300. bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…