New guy! Need help with checking my electronics exam! ASAP!#5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to discourage you pursuing education but I strongly urge you to consider finding another course of study. If you complete that course, you will have little useful knowledge of electronics. At least for the 21st century.

I know very little about valves so I can't offer you any assistance with regard to those questions.

With regard to question 14, I can see you've worked out the resistor value using ohm's law which is the correct thing to do. Unfortunately you have made a small error. You have assumed that the 12V supply will be dropped across the resistor - but what about the LED itself?
According to the question the LED drops 1.5V, so that leaves 10.5V that will be dropped across the resistor (they are in series). Re-do your calculations with this in mind and you'll come up with the correct answer.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
Hmmm. With regard to question 1, what is an SUS?

Brian

Never heared of it, he will just have to "sus" it out for himself.

JimB

JimB said:
Never heared of it, he will just have to "sus" it out for himself.

JimB

hi Jim,

I think I have managed to trawl from Google, definition of SUS, its a Silicon Unijunction Switch

**broken link removed**

Have I passed the test

ericgibbs said:
I think I have managed to trawl from Google, definition of SUS, its a Silicon Unijunction Switch
Have I passed the test?
You failed the test, Eric.
They say a SUS is a Silicon Unilateral Switch

Has anybody ever seen one of these very old things??

audioguru said:
You failed the test, Eric.
They say a SUS is a Silicon Unilateral Switch

Has anybody ever seen one of these very old things??

Hi,
I am a 'very very old thing' I dont recall ever seeing one or hearing the term SUS.

Do you have a pic or spec sheet, I'm curious to know if it went by any other name.

Google has 156,00 links to articles with SUS thingies. There are datasheets.
A SUS is like a one-way DIAC.

They are still made (as replacements?) to switch on SCRs.

hi guys
sorry been off for a bit...will be posting re-done test as soon as i scan it

thank you all and God bless !

hey guys...well here it is....all fixed up and done

please be kind to check it over
i really appreciate your time for doing this
Thank you.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Much better..........however

#20 again! it's a 28 volt coil, how can you operate it with 5 volt circuit ?????

#21 Kind of a bad question but I think D is a better answer then C....

Lefty

In my opinion your answers to 14, 20, 21, 23 and 25 are wrong.
Compare Q25 with Q14, they are basically the same question.
In my opinion Q4 is ambiguous. Rotary switches often have many positions, but sometimes only have two.

JimB

With regard to question 14, I think I mentioned last time that you cannot assume the entire 12V will be dropped across the resistor. 1.5V is dropped across the diode (according to the question) and, since the resistor is in series, that only leaves 10.5V to be dropped across the ressitor.

Do your calculations with this in mind (rearrange Ohm's law to make R the subject) and you'll come up with the correct answer.

Brian

ok for #14 redid my calculations...and came up with answer B:350 ohms

for #20 i came up with D:"A battery source of 28V must be used to make the coil operate properly"

but as JimB posted, im still not sure why #23 is wrong....i did find the answer in the text book

and i re-checked #25 i still come up with 664 ohms

Answer to #25 is 664 Ohms.. I don't know why JimB thinks otherwise..

BTW, how do you feel about learning about obsolete electronics that you'll never use? (SUS)

well....i'll learn whatever they give me as long as i try and get good marks

i know i'll probably won't even use it but what can i do eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…