Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new guy to the forum and electronics world looking for someone to build a controll

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossjatoman

First of all, i would like to say hi

i'm sure all of you on here are very intelligent people, and just to let you all know i am kinda sorta the same , but a keyboard somehow makes me seem a little immature. so forgive my spelling and typo's

My name is Ross, i just got this account on your forum, and i was wondering if someone on here would be willing to help me out a little bit, give me some ideas or possibly pay someone to build me a microcontroller

i will go over basics of what it needs to do, and if anyone seems interested i can give the advanced stuff.

Heres what i have. the average old fuel oil buring stove, meant to heat a house, i had an old one laying around and became determined to convert it to burn motor oil. the project was a success and the stove now burns motor oil dependably

now the reason that i am here, my stove works fine and will light with the correct human input of flipping switches and attaching a 12V battery to it, all of these controls were not designed to run with the stove and have been added by me.

one of these controls is a block heater that preheats the oil to a set temperature before it is pumped through the nozzle

the second heating element is a glow plug from a desiel engine that preheats the whole nozzle assembly before lighting the stove and cannot run full time because that causes problems.

the third thing that could run automatically is a damper that opens and closes the input of air, it is a 24 volt actuator, that must close the air before lighting and open the air after the stove runs for about a minute

currently to light it right now this is what has to be done

1 turn on 1st block heater (light switch 120V),
2 hook glow plug up to car battery, then wait about 3 minutes for both of the heaters to get warm and cycle off
3 close the input of air to the stove ( don't know why, but this helps the stove light faster)
4 turn on thermostat
5 wait for the stove to light and then disconnect 12V glow plug

the rest is already controlled.

anyone interested in hearing more?

or anyone with an idea of how i could get this to run on a thermostat without standing next to it and flipping switches everytime i want to light it?

Hi Ross,

according to my experience your overall design has a flaw.

Why not use a pilot flame and ignite the preheated oil using that?

The oil must be sprayed as mist into a burning chamber (similar to combustion chambers of jet turbines) where the pilot flame is directed to hit the area of equal speed of air flow and fuel mist.

That requires a radial fan with enough total pressure to gain the air speed. Keep the intake clear of any obstructions for maximum exhaust pressure and volume flow.

To make sure you have the fuel-air mixture burning you just need an optical sensor (just needed for indication of proper operation of the burner)

The pilot flame uses very little oil and might be kept running at all times (except when the oven is completely shut down). It will also take care of re-ignition without assistance in case of a flameout.

Considering all those facts it won't require a microprocessor to handle the problem.

Everything can be done using wired logic.

Boncuk

BTW JP4 (military) and JP1 (civilian) are cheaper than engine oil.

Last edited:
Where can you get them?

BTW JP4 (military) and JP1 (civilian) are cheaper than engine oil.

Are they easy to get for common mortals? Not that I know around here.

We moved thousands of drums with JP4 for helicopters in Antarctica but never seen it again.

Boncuk, I'm assuming its what is called a "waste oil burner" to heat with used motor oil. A lot of auto repair shops use them to heat with, because the oil comes from doing oil changes and is virtually free.

Last edited:
Where on earth is precious OIL burned and used for heating??
Oh yeah, in the USA. They burn anything in the USA (lots of filthy coal). Then the smoke comes to Canada.

I am in Canada where abundant and inexpensive Natural Gas is used. It makes no smoke. I think we clean and recycle used motor oil.
I wish we could clean and recycle all Americans.

yes, this is a waste oil burner, and the oil to me is vitrually free,

a pilot light isnt a bad idea, but it simply does not work, because of the fact that i am burning used motor oil i cannot use a nozzle that puts out anything less then .65 gph, otherwise it will plug with all of the particles in the used motor oil

i'm assuming that im going to end up using time delay relays for this

Where on earth is precious OIL burned and used for heating??
Oh yeah, in the USA. They burn anything in the USA (lots of filthy coal). Then the smoke comes to Canada.

I am in Canada where abundant and inexpensive Natural Gas is used. It makes no smoke. I think we clean and recycle used motor oil.
I wish we could clean and recycle all Americans.
Because we lowly Americans (don't you live in North America?) don't have all the "abundant and inexpensive Natural Gas" Canadians apparently do. Sorry about all that filthy smoke going to Canada. Perhaps you could send us some more of your Natural Gas (a bit of which I believe you generate). If we all lived in your perfect Canada it would be a little crowded and not so ideal.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back