Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelD

Hi,

The manual for my new multimeter indicates i need to put the red lead into the 10A socket for current measurements. Black goes to the ground socket as usual.

With my old multimeter i didnt really bother using the 10A socket (i used the other positive socket) for all measurements - the max current i would measure is about 0.5A. Can i do this with the new one as well?

Thanks

Most meters now have a separate socket for current measurement as you're effectively shorting the leads when measuring current. It's just a safe guard. As to whether you can measure smaller currents in the normal lead positions, you need to read the manual.

Mike.

The reason for the separate terminal for 10A is to avoid running the high current through the selector switch, which has a low current rating.

Out of interest, what would that current rating be?

It could explain why sometimes i used to get a hum from the meter...

Thanks all

put the red lead into the 10A socket for current measurements. Black goes to the ground socket as usual.

You're connecting to the built-in shunt.

On the 200 mA scale, since the internal fuse costs money, I measure the voltage across hi-watt low-ohm resistors instead.

And a 100 W 100 Ω rheostat comes in handy for troubleshooting house electrical problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back