Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Oshonsoft forum daily digest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ot1

This PM was sent to Bryan1, but he told me in a followup to post here.

Bryan didn't send me a test post, so nothing is proven.

Also I noticed that I have to log on to see "who" posted last on any thread, otherwise it only shows the msg counts. Is there any reason to restrict this? After all you do display the original poster of the threads. This is inconvenient, as I may not want to log on to see if threads I posted to have been replied to, since it seems the "subscribed to" isn't emailing me.

This correspondence is in regard to a Y! Groups forum we are in. We do not want to give up a "TRUE" daily digest feature, which provides(emails if requested) from all posts to any thread(within the particular forum, "Oshonsoft" in this case), subscribed or not. Therefore before the Y! Group forum is abandoned, this Y! style of daily digest and immediate subscriptions (either or both, not one or the other) features must be fully working and dependable.

Please reply, Ot1
--------
Hey Bryan,

Ok I had a look at the My Account/General Settings, and selected the daily digest, however, and of course I may be speaking too soon, but thus far there isn't a lot of activity in this forum to test this feature. But according to the little blurb below the subscription selection box, it mentions that the digest is composed of ONLY threads that the user started or replied to, hence this would not mimick the Yahoo Groups notification digest, where ALL thread activity is emailed to you, regardless of your previous subscription to individual threads. And this conformity is what myself and others of the Oshonsoft Y! Group desire.

So, to prove me incorrect in my assumption of how the Electro-Tech daily digest composes, could you please initiate a test thread, and I'll check if it gets included in my daily digest email without my involvement in the thread.

Thank you,
OT

Hi ot1,

What you want, it to subscribe to the subforum. If you goto the Oshonsoft forum and then click the Forum Tools drop down which is located at the top right of the threads table. Click the Subscribe to this Forum. This will allow you to receive an email each day with ALL updates to that forum.

The daily digest you have setup is for individual threads that you have participated in or have manually subscribed to it.

Regards,
EM

OK I subscribed to the Oshonsoft Forum, and gave it a couple of weeks for evaluation. What I don't like about how the subscription works, it that it sends me an email that there was a post to the forum, but then I have to link to the forum thread. It does not mimick the way Yahoo Groups operates its subscription, which includes the body of the post in the email. With Yahoo Groups I can quickly view the posts without opening the threads, this is a much more convienient. Can't you make it operate like Yahoo Groups? Of course it will likely take some programming effort...so fowards this post to those that do the programming. Thank you.

I believe sending an email to a user with every new post / thread that was created in a specific forum would slow down the system too much - maybe not straight away but definitely in the future.

Have you thought about RSS feeds? We provide them here for each forum. They are much more efficient that emails (and much easier on the server). RSS feeds would display all the posts in your email client.

The RSS feed for the Oshonsoft is (plug it into your email client and it will retrieve all the latest posts):
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=64

Regards,
EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back