New project 64/32mb PS2 MEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey i just found a old PS2 memory card labeled 32MB but i opened it and checked the chip and the datasheet says its 64MB. Either way im going to try and make a interface for this card so i can use it as memory. Just a little project.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/toshiba/1751.pdf

Shouldnt be to hard as its a Parallel interface and the only issue i will have is that the max VCC = 3.6v and i only have 5v pics.

My Main question:
Would i have to use like a voltage divider for each data pin?

or should i have a 3.3v supply with a bunch of fast switching transistors and use that instead?

What are you wanting to do with it?, far easier to use an SD memory card, and much larger as well.

3.3VDC power supply will be needed, and you might as well supply the PIC that too. If you do need to interface with 5VDC signals you can use a Level shifter.

Nigel: Basically i just found it in one of my boxes and dont own a PS2 anymoe so though id try to use it for learning and fun.

Krumlink: I just made a 3.3VDC supply from a "Xbox 360 Connectivity Kit V2" I dont have a solid 3v regulator and did want to take it off the kit so i added some wires and just plug a 5v input. Here is a pic:

Off:
**broken link removed**

On:

The datasheet link seams broken, if its a parallel interface EEPROM then don't suggest using it because your gonna need hell a lot of pins. As Nigel suggested yes try a SD card. Microchip gives you a FAT lib that has a built in interface to a SD card. Its incredibly easy to get working and will give you up to 4GB or even more if you use a IDE hard drive with FAT32. I sugest you stick to a SD card tho.Its low power, small,only 4 pins to interface,cheap and your most probably not even going need 128MB.The smallest cards you find in the stores are nowadays 512MB and are dirt cheap.

But if you want to try getting it to work feel free to do so.

The memory card if for PS2 and it has 8 pins. Not 9. But i was thinking about using just the memory chip but thats a good idea ... if i could use the 8 pins maybe easier.

EDIT: i will do SD memory i ordered from futurlec (today) and will receive in about a week (i hope) Untill then i need something to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…