Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to micro controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacius

Hi I'm new to Microcontrollers and I've been following a tutorial for my PIC16f628A. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to connect the pic to my computer to program it?

That's rather expensive, and generally considered to be a pretty poor programmer - I would suggest you try looking at the InchWorm ICD2 clone mentioned a LOT in this forum.

Just on that, if your looking for the best programmer/development board on the market, the EasyPIC4 is hard to beat. Its $149, and you can use what ever programming software you want, as you simply program the PIC with the development's board software with the .HEX file produced
**broken link removed**

It comes with everything but the LCD's, they are a little extra. Or you can simply solder headers onto yours and put them in:eek:

Well the VELLEMAN Pic Programmer/Checker is the only programmer I can find in my area... :confused: And just out of curiousity what exactly makes the other programmers you specified better?

Glacius said:
Well the VELLEMAN Pic Programmer/Checker is the only programmer I can find in my area... :confused: And just out of curiousity what exactly makes the other programmers you specified better?

Well the EasyPIC4 is a complete development board, as you can see in the piccy.

mikroElectronica will ship to almost anywhere in the world, so too will microchip.

From memory, shipping costs will be displayed as you choose your contry from a drop down box as your checking out with the order online

Well I don't have a credit card so ordering the EasyPIC4 will be difficult... I've considered making my own InchWorm ICD2, although there are a few problems I've noticed in the assembly instructions. One is that it asks for a Preprogrammed PIC16F877A, and the closest thing I can find to the MAX232 at my local electronics hardware store is ICL232. Also, another problem is getting the actual board to stick all the electrical components in.

Is it possible to build a PIC programmer board interfaced via the parallel port, and then use MPlab/WinPIC to program? WinPIC's help file suggests that this is possible. This also removes the needs for the MAX232, whose main purpose is just to convert TTL signals into RS-232, making the circuit simpler.

mdanh2002 said:
Is it possible to build a PIC programmer board interfaced via the parallel port, and then use MPlab/WinPIC to program? WinPIC's help file suggests that this is possible. This also removes the needs for the MAX232, whose main purpose is just to convert TTL signals into RS-232, making the circuit simpler.

Crude JDM designs do that, but they are not very reliable. You can get them for around $20 on eBay, or build them yourself (hard to match that price though for a fully finctional built version)

Glacius said:
Well I don't have a credit card so ordering the EasyPIC4 will be difficult... I've considered making my own InchWorm ICD2, although there are a few problems I've noticed in the assembly instructions. One is that it asks for a Preprogrammed PIC16F877A, and the closest thing I can find to the MAX232 at my local electronics hardware store is ICL232. Also, another problem is getting the actual board to stick all the electrical components in.

Any typical MAX232 compatible should work fine, the ST232 works great and so should the ICL232.

Glacius said:
Also, another problem is getting the actual board to stick all the electrical components in.

You have several options if you do not want to buy a kit.
All three have been done by quite a few people.
Search the forums here for lots of info on making your own PCB.

You can also get a preprogramed PIC from DIPMICRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back