Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new to pic's, can you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adown

Hi, I'm looking to build a sequential tail light. I need to sense the existing flasher, and instantaneously start a series of three light strings consisting of three 2v,25ma led's each. what be be the best PIC to use and how simple would the circuit be. Can the PIC's take 13.6 v input? can they accomplish this without many external parts? I've built this circuit with discrete parts, but want a smaller foot print and more control of the timing. I am also looking at building one that will sense the flasher voltage and out put a flasher voltage for a period longer than the input flash rate. I do have some programming knowledge. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

As far as extending the flasher voltage for a longer period, maybe try a monostable multivibrator circuit and adjust its output pulse for longer duration than its input pulse from the flasher.

It sounds like you want to make 3 columns of LEDs to sequentially count to three (first column goes on then off, second column on then off, third column on then off). You would have to do this with each flasher input. Maybe just somehow speed up the flasher rate and just input to a 4017 decade counter that counts up to three. These CMOS chips can safely handle up to about 16 volts. You can also add a short delay after every three count of your LEDs by increasing the count of the decade counter (up to ten), only the first three of its count are being used, other counts just add a delay. Just and idea.:)

Last edited:
Yes I have built both of these circuits with different forms of multivibrators. The components take up to much space. I thought I could do it easier and smaller with a pic. The sequential needs to leave the previous lit until all 3 segments have lit. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back