Newb question about schematic/wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

atmidd

Hi I'm new to reading schematics and have a question about something that is recurring in some schematics I've been looking at. This is a picture of what I am seeing.
**broken link removed**

It is to this effect pedal Whisker Biscuit

My questions are does the output jack wire before or after the resistor? Does the potentiometer for volume wire before or after that resistor?

I found this on beavis audio **broken link removed**

So, am I totally wrong in thinking that that last resistor-looking squiggle is a resistor? Or is that the pot.?

I apologize for these questions. I have been looking on the internet and have been trying to do my research before I start a pedal project, but this has just been bugging me. So, any and all responses/answers would be SO appreciated. Thank you!

The output is neither before or after the resistor. The output wiper on a pot makes contact with the resistor along it's whole length as you move the control shaft (in effect it "taps" off the resistor). The position of the "tap" is determined by the wiper position. For example at the half-way (50%) position, the wiper is half-way between each end the of the resistor. If you measure the wiper voltage with a high impedance voltmeter there will have 1/2 of the signal appearing across the pot (for a linear pot). If you measure the resistance from the wiper to either end of the pot you will measure 1/2 the total resistance of the pot.

Note: That's true for a linear pot. For the log pot that your are showing, which is often used for volume controls since the ear has a logarithmic response to sound level, the resistance is not linear from one end to the other so the 1/2 way point will not have 1/2 the signal, it would be something like 1/4 of the signal when measured from the grounded end.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**
So, am I totally wrong in thinking that that last resistor-looking squiggle is a resistor? Or is that the pot.?

From left to right:
R3: A fixed resistor
VR1: A potentiometer
TR1: A rheostat

A rheostat is a potentiometer (3 terminal pot) with one of it's legs connected to the wiper, thus making a rheostat a two terminal adjustable resistor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…