Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbe need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr pid

Hi All, im just getting started with all this electronic and need your help. I have here a STB with:

1 x Eon EN29LV800AB
1 x MB86A15A
1 x K4s641632K

IC's in, please could someone tell me what roll these IC's play in the STB. Ive looked at the data sheets from these but it only tells me what it is and not what it does

Thanks
Steve

I won't look at the datasheets for the ICs until you tell us if you have satellite or cable TV, if it is normal or high definition and if it is NTSC, PAL or SECAM.

audioguru said:
I won't look at the datasheets for the ICs until you tell us if you have satellite or cable TV, if it is normal or high definition and if it is NTSC, PAL or SECAM.

Hi, Its a free to air satellite receiver, normal definition & ntsc + pal, does that help ?

Thanks
Steve

The EN29LV800 is an 8Mb Cmos flash memory IC. the datasheet shows how to use it.
The MB86A15A is a tuner and demodulator IC. It is extremely complicated and Fujitsu doesn't say what it does or how it works.
The K4S641632K is a 64Mb Cmos dynamic RAM IC. The 42 page datasheet tells all about it.

Hi, thanks for the info, are these data sheets available online, I would like to have a look. Problem ive got is that im just starting out with all this and ive found the data sheets are more experienced people, can you if poss. explain to me in layman’s terms what these IC's do, for example what would flash memory hold, would it hold the info for IR commands from the remote or would it have the boot codes in, I need to learn more ???

I get datasheets from www.datasheetarchive.com but there are a few other sites.
I guess the flash memory contains the operating program for the tuner/demodulator IC.
I don't know what the dynamic RAM is used for.
IR commands are simple and fixed so they would not be stored in dynamic RAM which "forgets" when its power is turned off.

Mr pid said:
Hi, thanks for the info, are these data sheets available online, I would like to have a look. Problem ive got is that im just starting out with all this and ive found the data sheets are more experienced people, can you if poss. explain to me in layman’s terms what these IC's do, for example what would flash memory hold, would it hold the info for IR commands from the remote or would it have the boot codes in, I need to learn more ???

A digital STB is essentially a computer, the FLASH holds the OS, and the RAM is it's working memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back