newbie/novice needs answers for home / car audio question pleeeeeeeease!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubar

Hey folks. I am in the midst of building a jobsite radio. I want to use a car stereo / cd player. I do realize that the car sterio runs of 12 volts, but i do not want to incorporate an over weight battery charger into this project. My question is this. What can i use to power the unit. I need to convert 120 volts ( north american ) down to 12 volts.........? can this be done cheaply, and without adding too much weight....those damn battery chargers weight a ton. Much thanks, in advance for any and / or all comments.thanks Fubar

Just use a adapter, PC power suply or whatever. Batery chargers? For what if u have acces to the 120V line?

cool..much thanks.......my worries are that an adaptor wont be enough to power the signal when turned up in volume...like i said.iam a novice....thanks and regards...keep the answers coming...

fubar said:
cool..much thanks.......my worries are that an adaptor wont be enough to power the signal when turned up in volume...like i said.iam a novice....thanks and regards...keep the answers coming...
Use a adaptor with generous rating (like 3A+). If it isn't runing too hot ...ok. U didn't gave a lot of details about the car stereo. Does it have a audio amplifier included ? U're using a external one? What power?

i have not obtained the player yet, before i invest i need answers..but thanks..i , with knowledge and the help of a good friend i can hopfully figure it out...moocho thanks......keep the answers coming.believe me.i check my ego at the door.iam here to learn......fubar

i have not obtained the player yet, before i invest i need answers
Why not just buy a portable player that works on 120Vac already? What advantage are you trying to gain from using a car sterio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…