Newbie questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

l4mbr3tt4

First of all, WOW what a lot of great information here!

I really hope you guys can help me. I have limited electronics building. (I have built a few guitar pedals from schematics) I can solder, and I understand what relays do and should be able to figure out schematics if posted, but not so much exactly what I may need voltage wise. I think you will love my project when I am done though!

I have 3 components I need help to wire together. First is a timer. It requires a standard 9v battery. I can set the time for whatever I'd like (up to 9999 hours!) and then when it reaches "0" a signal is sent to the output and it will "go low" until it is reset. The "output" on this according to the manual is 100mA@30v. What would I need to do to make this switch a solid state relay? Make it go "high" instead?

I would like the timer to then turn on a PIR sensor. I purchased one from adafruit. How to use Pyroelectric ("Passive") Infrared Sensors (PIR). This is an IR motion sensor.

Now once this is "armed", and someone sets it off by walking by, I would like it to activate a TV-B-Gone. A TV-B-Gone is a device used to scan IR codes to turn on and off televisions. I would need it to close the TV-B-Gone circuit the same manner as a button press. I would also want this to close the circuit of the timer so that it resets, cutting power to the PIR, as I only want this to activate the TV-B-gone one time each time I set it. I figure a relay can get both of these done.

The TV-B-Gone must scan through the codes so it would be required to have power for a while. I would rather have the TV-B-Gone run on a separate power supply as I plan on using it stand alone.

Basically, I am going to play a prank on a few guys at work. They work on different nights than I do. I want to set this up to the timer to "arm" the PIR when I am not there, later in the week at night. When they walk through the room to the bathroom out back, I want the TV to turn on, or off. They are scared of ghosts and stuff so I figure this will be fun to do from time to time, and they will never know what causes it. They will freak out, and I'm hoping to hear "stories" of what's happening late at night.

If you need schematics of the items I have I can provide them. I think I just need a bit of schooling in relays and some direction! I have the TV-b-gone as a kit. I shouldn't have trouble building it. I can follow directions well, but the relays I know nothing about.

Timer:
Input: 9v.
"Output" is 100mA@30v (but it says it's low?) It is designed to trigger a relay though.

PIR Motion Sensor:
Input is 3.3V - 5V input voltage. (I could use 9v power if stepped down. I don't know how to do this though)
Output: Digital pulse high (3V) when triggered (motion detected) digital low when idle (no motion detected).

TV B Gone:
Input 2.5-5.5v. (I planned on 4.5v from 3 AA batteries.)

Here is a visual:

**broken link removed**

Thanks for your time!!

Anyone?

Would I duplicate this schematic but replace the LED with a relay for the motion sensor?

**broken link removed**

When I get time I will take a few minutes to make some comments. I'm sure someone else who knows more than I can offer will be by as well. Until then, just glancing at the flowchart I have to chuckle ("OMFG!") You certainly have a good sense of humor.

"The "output" on this according to the manual is 100mA@30v. What would I need to do to make this switch a solid state relay? Make it go "high" instead?"

if the circuit in question goes "low" when the time interval is up, and you wish to switch a solid state relay on, then yes you would need to invert the signal. An inverter IC stage or a simple transistor invertor would do the trick...But there are timer circuits that work in the opposite manner without need to do this.

It would be helpful if you post the part numbers, datasheets, and schematics for all the items you plan on incorporating. The flowchart seems to have disappeared. It would help if you reposted it.

Your circuit is simple enough. If I get your drift, you want to build a circuit that has an "arm delay" for the PIR. You give the command, and in "X" amount of time the circuit will be armed (during the other worker's shift).

Then you want the PIR to relay, what seems to amount to, a universal remote? You want the relay to also send a reset signal to the timer after an interval. hmmm, that would be uneccessary I think. Timer circuits can be built to delay an "on interval" as well as an "off interval".

The little PIR schematic that you posted, where did you get it? is it specifically related to the motion sensor you have purchased or plan on purchasing?

we would need a little more information.

Ok, I see where the PIR schematic came from.

If the output is 3.3 volts a solid state relay with a 3-32 volt DC control input will likely work here. You can get them with DC switchable outputs as well as AC. Or, a transistor circuit would probably be better. You aren't directly swtiching the TV by applying AC power if I understand? You want to trigger the TV B Gone "remote" to turn on the TV. You do need a switch closure I think, but with proper schematics I'd bet a transistor would be all you need.

Thanks for the help!

I will gather the schematics and post them soon, in a day or two. I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…