Next blueroomelectronics kit announcement; the IR232 (IR RS232 bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

Next kit, PCB layout starts Saturday.
It's an IR RS232 Bridge, quite configurable designed to compliment your home theater / automation system.

Comments, Suggestions?
**broken link removed**

Seams like a nice kit.

I have a design suggestion.How about putting a IR LED on the board also and use the switch on the jack to disconnect that one when a external IR LED is plug in to it.

I thought about adding an IR out LED to the PCB, problem is simply an IR blaster has to face your equipment and the IR detector faces your remote.

A couple of non obvious features

• RS232 cable can have hardware handshaking or be split for dual TX/RX
  • keypad is on A/D port, multikey analog keypad possible or temperature sensor input(s)
  • Opto inputs or RS485 (software UART)
I've yet to find an ideal case for it, thinking something along the lines of the ADI Ocelot.
**broken link removed**

Why didn't you think of putting the IR led on the opposite side than the receiver

If you use it to build a device that communicates with another device they will both need to point in the same direction. There is no one right place to put the IR emitter.

Having the blaster on a plug makes sense as you can point where you need to.

Bill,
The one thing I miss here is a cool name for the device. Almost everything else you produce has a unique name which makes it somewhat more friendly. IE Junebug dragonfly,,,,
Why not this one?

Bill,
The one thing I miss here is a cool name for the device. Almost everything else you produce has a unique name which makes it somewhat more friendly. IE Junebug dragonfly,,,,
Why not this one?
hi,

Good thinking BeeBop,

How about the F-IR-efly......

Watcha think Bill.?

EDIT: just seen another firefly.. aaahh well I suppose its the thought that counts.!..

Last edited:
Actually it's a commissioned design and was built to synchronize a theater automation system. We've not named it officially but we're listening...
It's a bridge type device.
I like Beetle IR Serial Bridge

Schematic is nice but can you describe the circuit? What's it supposed to do? Looks like a lot more stuff than you need for just "IR to RS232", yes, no?

Mike

It's basic function is a dual relay coil monitor to DLP / LCD projector controller (RS232). If you don't want the relay inputs you can drop an RS485 IC in place of the dual opto. The IR output section 1/8" phone jack can be used with SIRC / LANC or a IR Blaster.
The secret of the design is the jumper block normally not jumpers but wire links for configuring some of the multiple possible build options.
The crystal is used for accurate timing and baud generation as this device may see large temperature swings.

I plan on using mine on my home theater to automatically switch from widescreen to 16:9 depending on the source with button override.

And you can even use the debug pins
MCLR = Reset, pushbutton or TTL input
RB6,7 = Software UART (split the DE9M) handy for slow RS232 devices like the X10 Firecracker
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I've added an 8pin header for the keypad so you can move / omit the LEDs if you want a keypad matrix instead or whatever sort of I/O you might dream up (remote temperature sensors are always fun)
Refresh your browser to see the updated schematic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…