Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

nibbler tool - any smaller ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megamox

I think im gonna use the nibbler tool to make square holes for all my switches, but do all of them come in the same size how about ones which cut thinner strips? Anyone know if they exist, or where to get them.

Thanks

Attachments

• 76011b.jpg
    76011b.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 460
That looks a lot like a modern version of the Adel Tool Co. (Chicago) nibbler that I have that takes a 1/8-inch swath out of the metal. It is a bit big and takes a danged 1/2-inch hole to get it started in the middle of a piece of sheet metal.

For the square holes required by slide switches, I use one of two methods. One is to put the sheet metal over some hard wood such as oak and use a 1/4-inch or smaller wood chisel and a hammer to make the square hole. The other is to use a drill to start an undersized round hole and a Dremel rotary grinder to work out the bulk of it and small mill files to sharpen up the corners. That's why I like toggle switches with their round 1/4-inch or 15/32-inch holes. Trouble is, slide switches are so darned cheap and I have hundreds of them! Hate to waste the things.

Dean

I found this tool much more useful than a nibbler to make small odd shaped openings in project boxes:
**broken link removed**

It works fast, like a round saw blade, in plastic or die cast boxes. It seems to last forever - mine is more than 10 years old - and the cut only needs a light dressing with a square file to get those nice corners. Best of all is it starts in a 1/8" hole, drill a hole at each corner and "saw" out the remaining material. Cutouts for 'D' type connectors? no problem :D
Klaus

Like Dean, I use a Dremel tool but use the tiny cutoff wheels to cut the straight sides - and a file to clean up the corners. Safety glasses are a must!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back