Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiCd V's Duracell AA: NiCd produce very low mA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mettam

I have 4 AA Ni-Cd rechargable batteries puting out 6.6 Volts and .002 mA
And I have 3 AA Duracell batteries putting out 6.2 Volts and .720mA

My project worked fine with the 3 AA Duracell but not so fine with the 4 AA Ni-Cd rechargeables I put this down to the low amperage the NiCd is putting out.

Can someone explain why both batteries are putting out ~6V and yet such differant mA ? I would have thought that since both are AA in size then the Amperage should be roughly the same right ?

FYI: my project is to light 36LED party lights with 3AA batteries for 8hours. It can be done, I have kept 36 LEDs illuminated for more than 12hours on just 3AA Duracells

Also can someone suggest what kind of rechargeable batteries I can buy that will put out roughly 6V and .6mA ?

Thank you.

Justin.

Batteries don't 'put out' current, the current is dependent on the load - NOT the supply (as long as the supply is capable of that current).

However, your voltages are wildly wrong - 4 NiCd's are 4.8V - perhaps just other 5V when fully charged, and 3 AA's are 4.5V - again perhaps about 5V when brand new. Neither will be over 6V!.

mettam said:
I have 4 AA Ni-Cd rechargable batteries puting out 6.6 Volts and .002 mA
And I have 3 AA Duracell batteries putting out 6.2 Volts and .720mA

My project worked fine with the 3 AA Duracell but not so fine with the 4 AA Ni-Cd rechargeables I put this down to the low amperage the NiCd is putting out.

Can someone explain why both batteries are putting out ~6V and yet such differant mA ? I would have thought that since both are AA in size then the Amperage should be roughly the same right ?

FYI: my project is to light 36LED party lights with 3AA batteries for 8hours. It can be done, I have kept 36 LEDs illuminated for more than 12hours on just 3AA Duracells

Also can someone suggest what kind of rechargeable batteries I can buy that will put out roughly 6V and .6mA ?

Thank you.

Justin.
4 Ni-Cd puting 6.6V?...wow.How about 5.6V when are fuly charged and...4.8V most of the time. Where are u buing thoes cells:D or ....what voltmeter are u using.

More than 2V from each duracell! I could use some of those.

36 LEDs lighted for more than 12 hours from only 3 little AA cells?

They must be nuclear cells.

Maybe the leds where turned on&off (on for only a very very small period:lol):p . About the voltage....I bought this cheap, made in China, 1$ :lol analog multimeter. It was showing me 14.7V on a 9V bat so.....:p :lol

audioguru said:
Was it a duracell nuclear 9V bat?
Yup :lol. Bought from Alpha Centauri :lol:D or maibe the multimeter had a +-25% precision :lol

When you talk about a cheap piece of junk, please don't say, "Precision".

I have a meter as well, when the battery gets low if give high readings. Maybe time to drop the duracells in the meter.

well...a couple of 1$ junk multimeters with some twiking came in handy on my PS:D

mramos1 said:
I have a meter as well, when the battery gets low if give high readings. Maybe time to drop the duracells in the meter.

I think this maybe the problem (the batteries may be low on my voltmeter) I have been thinking these results are very strange too.
I noticed the other day while reading a 9 volt batery that my voltage kept rising from 7 to 14 Volts and increasing.

audioguru said:
More than 2V from each duracell! I could use some of those.

They must be nuclear cells.

It's true. I lit 36 LEDs in parallel with actually just 2 AA (duracell probably) the LEDs were only 25% as bright but when I got up in the morning they where still running.
Try it your self.

I cut the LEDs from a string of LED party lights.
I think I submited a photograph of this a few months ago check my history posts to see it. Its nothing ground breaking as I am a beginner.

Justin.

LEDs are pretty bright with 30mA. That is a total current of more than 1A and little AA alkaline cells can supply it for only 1 hour.

AA alkaline cells can supply about 180mA for 12 hours. The resulting 5mA average current per LED is not very bright.

I bet they started pretty bright, then got dimmer and dimmer and dimmer and dimmer and dimmer ......

mettam said:
I think this maybe the problem (the batteries may be low on my voltmeter) I have been thinking these results are very strange too.
I noticed the other day while reading a 9 volt batery that my voltage kept rising from 7 to 14 Volts and increasing.

I think it is time to get a new good brand DMM like Fluke.
Those readings like 14 volts from a 9 volts battery are certainly not the battery at fault, but the meter.;)

I have a very good Fluke DMM and an el cheapo DMM and they both read nearly the same: 5.000V on the Fluke is 4.98V on the cheap one.

RODALCO said:
I think it is time to get a new good brand DMM like Fluke.
Those readings like 14 volts from a 9 volts battery are certainly not the battery at fault, but the meter.;)
I have a cheap digi multimeter. It's a UNI-T M830B. I've bought one for less then 10$. It has quite OK precision (I've compaired it with some more exp&acurate multimeters). It has a imput impedance of 1.8Mohm ...so for most of the voltage sources it reads ~open circuit voltage.
With 25$ u can buy a more complex one (capacimeter, noise gen, temp probe etc.). It has like 10Mohm imped.
The main diference between a low end digi multimeter and a cheap one is quality management. Like 20% of the cheap ones are junk and another 10-20% need some twiking. I've selected the 10$ one from a lot:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back