Night Rider Led Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind using this because it uses much fewer parts, but i know next to nothing about this PIC, much less on how to program one it and with what...

Attachments

• Vellman Kit.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 512
You could follow the schematic and program (blinky) in the back of the Junebug manual. It uses only 3 I/O pins to run 6 LEDs charlieplexed
**broken link removed**

Audioguru that information really usefull I was thinking how the original Knight Rider fades the bulbs.Now I got the point they were using incandescent light bulbs.

Anyway I like to share my designs done with cheapy LED's.

Click here to see a small video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgpFC91MSVU

Attachments

• Knight Rider.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 908
  • Knight Rider - Completed.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 646
blueroomelectronics said:
You could follow the schematic and program (blinky) in the back of the Junebug manual. It uses only 3 I/O pins to run 6 LEDs charlieplexed
**broken link removed**

I used the junbug to teach my kids how to run charlie plexed displays. The night rider effect was one the the project we did. In the next lesson they learned to use polled timers in place of delays. When we do interrups in a few weeks it will be used for that as well.

It is very educational.

Last edited:
BigE4u said:
I wouldn't mind using this because it uses much fewer parts, but i know next to nothing about this PIC, much less on how to program one it and with what...
I'd also replace that transistor and zener regulator with a real regulator like the LM78L05.

Very nice... i'd like to start programming my own PICs sometime soon. So many programers to choose from out there, not sure which to use as a first time hobbyist.

Hi Mike, K8LH nice work.I haven't try fading bulbs in a multiplex way.Its very useful when working with 8 pin PICs.

I've knoticed that all PIC projects need +5v to operate. I just have to wonder why they weren't built to handle higher voltages... or are they just another logic circuit?

A PIC is made with High speed Cmos like 74HCxxx gates and counters. So its normal operating supply voltage is 5V.

A simple LM7805 is a popular way to reduce and regulate to 5V. There are a couple of HV PICs that have a built in regulator but these are not very common and the I/O is still 5V.

Gayan,

I am not very knowledgeable about electronics but am amazed by the simplicity of your Knight Rider circuit. I have been wanting to incorporate the scanner into a project vehicle that I'm working on. Would you consider selling me a programed PIC 16F628A? Please let me know. Thanks...

TheJackal

Any oppinion on this velleman kit for a 1st time programer like me?

**broken link removed**

The Velleman K8048 is a JDM type programmer with a demo board. A PICkit2 or my Junebug kit are about the same price as the K8048 and both are USB based with MPLAB support and program most Flash based PICs.

Stay away from the mind dead programers that do not work with MPLAB. All JDM units included.

Get a PIC based unit that had MPLAB support for debugging.

EDIT: At times I sound like a salesmen for Junebugs. Prior to getting one I did not have a clue how much better
they were the a serial ICD2 clone which is way better then a JDM type. It is a great kit. I have 5 of them.

Last edited:
I guess what i can do is get rid of these components(outlined in red) and replace it with an LM7805 for proper +5v regulation.

Attachments

• Vellman Kit.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 501
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…