Nissan LEAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

not

Hi Folks, I did not know where to put this, but here it is. I am doing research on the new Nissan Leaf, the all electric car. What I am wondering is many KW/h will be required to charge the battery. I looked threw their site and called their customer service but I can not get an answer. The reason I would like to know is that I am planning on installing a solar panel system to my home and I would like it to cover all of my home usage. How cool would it be if I could also factor in charging an electric car?
So this is what I know (have taken it from their website). If anyone can help me figure out the calculation that would be great, because I am clueless.

-Q:What is the estimated time for full charging with 110v, 220v and fast charge stations?
A:16-18 hours at 110V, 8 hours at 220V (depending on amperage), 26 minutes to 80% at a quick-charge station.

- Q:How long does it take to charge the battery? A:The battery will charge in 4-8 hours on a 220V home charging unit.

- They claim it will cost $3 a day to charge the battery

Thanks for reading!! Joel

There isn't really enough information, as they don't say what current will be taken from any of the supplies. They also don't say what the electricity costs are, or how much of a full charge $3 will buy.

If you estimate 15A at 110 V, and 16 hours, that would be 15 * 110 * 16 / 1000 = 26.4 kWh, but that is just a guess.

(Please don't write KW/h. It is wrong.)

Okay, like I said I don't know much. I am just putting the question out there for more intelligent people, like yourself. Thanks

Using the average cost of electricity in the US as about $0.12 per kilowatt-hour, $3 of electricity is 25KHh, close to the value that Diver 300 estimated. So I would think a reasonable estimate of the energy to recharge the battery is about 25KWh. That's comparable to the average household daily electricity use.

Of course, that amount for the car would be for charging a totally discharged battery. If you only partially discharged the battery then it would take correspondingly less to recharge it.

Thanks Carl, anyone else excited for mass production Electric cars?

The Leaf car looks small.
An article says the battery replacement costs $10,000US so Nissan is going to be selling many of those expensive batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…