Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiZn Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roff

While searching for an AA cell with low resistance, I stumbled across Nickel-Zinc cells. They have resistances on the order of a few milliohms to tens of milliohms.

I was pretty excited until I started reading the reviews of the PowerGenix cells. They seem to suffer from reliability issues. Do any of you guys or gals have experience with these batteries, or others of the same chemistry but from another manufacturer?

Hi.
Used the NiZn cells by PowerGenix for two years now, and they are total garbage, unreliable, unpredictable uniformity from one to another of the same batch, and self discharge at an unacceptable rate.
I also had good expectations, but now I do not recommend them at all. Their web site and specifications is full of hot air, if they are still in business.

Edited - added: And I have tested them in fast discharge items, low rate discharge items, camera, toys, flashlights, alarm clocks. Ended with a LiIon 16850 feeding a camera by its external power jack for true reliability.

Last edited:
Hi.
Used the NiZn cells by PowerGenix for two years now, and they are total garbage, unreliable, unpredictable uniformity from one to another of the same batch, and self discharge at an unacceptable rate.
I also had good expectations, but now I do not recommend them at all. Their web site and specifications is full of hot air, if they are still in business.

Edited - added: And I have tested them in fast discharge items, low rate discharge items, camera, toys, flashlights, alarm clocks. Ended with a LiIon 16850 feeding a camera by its external power jack for true reliability.
I think you meant 18650.

Hi there,

I too tried these cells but unfortunately i havent tested them that extensively yet. When i first heard about them i was excited too mostly because of the higher characteristic voltage which i think is 1.6v and that's a lot higher than the usual 1.2 for NiMH and NiCd. So i bought four cells and a charger off Amazon.
After testing the four cells pretty well for basic operation like capacity (using a four channel voltage logger and known resistance and some software that measures cell capacity) i found that one of the cells was quite low on capacity, so i wrote to the company and they were nice enough to send me four more cells free of charge.

I have used them i low current applications like to run small LEDs, but i havent tested them in anything over any appreciable time where i could get an idea how they function after say 10 or 20 discharge/charge cycles. I always meant to do this but just didnt get around to it. What i was hoping for was that they were better than the Rayovac cells, i dont know if you remember them, but they were called rechargeable alkaline cells. They were advertised to charge/recharge 50 times but i only got maybe 10 times before they started to discharge so fast that they became a pain to use in anything because they would run down too fast. So i gave up on those cells long time ago and they dont make them anymore probably because of that. But the NiZn cells are not the same chemistry so i am hoping they last longer.

So far i have had a little experience with them maybe not as bad as Externet where i had them sitting for quite a while but was still able to use them for light current apps. How much capacity they had left after say 6 months though i cant say with any certainty.

So i guess all i can really say is that "I bought some" unfortunately, but if i can i'll get to testing them better. One way to test them is to test the capacity when they are new by charging and controlled discharge, then after say 10 cycles do another test, then compare results. Number each cell 1 to 4 if you have four cells to keep track of each individual cell. I use a marker and then clear spray paint over each marking after taping the contact ends with masking tape, just a light spray to protect the number which will rub off easy with just the marker alone.

Perhaps Externet would care to elaborate with some numerical results.

I was hoping these would be good., but never got around to trying them. I always whated to try them on portable transmitters that could use the extra voltage.
How long do they stay above 1.5 volts.

Last edited:
Hi Al. :)
I have experienced these cells just do not keep the fully charged state for even a week, and are uncapable of lasting on-duty. In a plain flashlight that is ocassionally used, becomes frustrating. In a camera last for ~1/4 of a brand alkaline cells.
I was carried away expecting something promising but got me disappointed. I have about a dozen, and after a few days from recharging, all have different voltages and irregular lasting times. It could had been a good product, as we all hope for, but not. :(
Have not done a plotting of performance; just as plain user :( . Any evaluation should be done keeping perhaps a week resting after recharge for the flaws to surface.

See dates ---->https://forum.nutsvolts.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15609&p=78913&hilit=nizn#p78913

So it appears that, a year since you guys posted on N&V, they are still making crap, and/or trying to sell of their existing junk.

Hi again,

I have to say that my experience wasnt as bad as Externet's, but unfortunately i didnt test them extensively enough yet to make any realistic judgement.
I was able to run some smaller LEDs for a while even after a long time sitting but i didnt take any data about the cells unfortunately. I hope to get to this at some point though.

I guess he is asking the price? (Courtesy Bing: price r? ch? 500 )

Primary zinc batteries (i.e., non-rechargeable) have been around for quite a while and work well. The rechargeable versions seem to have a problem with the zinc or zinc(II) precipitating. Maybe it can be solved; maybe not. It is hard to beat kinetics. So while the thermodynamics may be favorable, the kinetics of the reaction/adverse reactions may screw you.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back