Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NOOB NEEDS HELP, house door breech, contacts my mobile???

Status
Not open for further replies.

torcido

Hi i know nothing about electronics but i was wondering if anybody knows how to sort my problem.

ive been recieving threats that my flat is going to be broken into when i go out, i have college 5 days a week but obviously i havent been since i recieved the threat.

I remember watching something on tv and it had someone install something to the front door, so that if it was opened by anyone but him it would use the house landline (im assuming here) to phone his mobile

Is this possible, and if so how would i go about making it, or buying it if its cheap.

i would really appreciate it if you could get back to me asap.

thanks

mike

hi Mike,
You can buy Auto-diallers, but they are not cheap. In my catalogues they listed from £60 thru £150.

If you have an old laptop laying around with modem, its fairly easy to make your own dialler.
Thats the way I do it, problem is, that you need a good neighbour who you can phone if you get an alarm call, otherwise they are not much use..

Unless it calls a local security company.

hi Eric, thanks for the reply, i dont have a laptop at the moment but im sure i could pick one up cheaper than the Auto-diallers, do you think you could explain to me how to create one out of a modem to phone my mobile please.

:)

A relatively common feature of security and building automation systems is the ability to page or notify via telephone. It would seem you can purchase what you need from relatively common home security companies. I've no idea about cost.

If you know nothing about electronics it would seem that building your own is going to be a huge challenge.

There are regulations and requirements related to connection of equipment to telephone lines - you'll want to understand those if you plan to build your own or adapt something not built for that purpose.

As a temporary measure they do make portable alarm devices that will make a lot of noise.

torcido said:
hi Eric, thanks for the reply, i dont have a laptop at the moment but im sure i could pick one up cheaper than the Auto-diallers, do you think you could explain to me how to create one out of a modem to phone my mobile please.

:)

Hi,
Are you able to write PC programs in Basic or Visual Basic??

Use a standard external modem plugged into a laptop or desktop, write a program in Basic that will scan the parallel port pin/s connected to an intruder switch.
On detecting the switch the PC dials out to your mobile, it waits until you answer or a time out period and then hangs up.

Your mobile will ring when it dials out, look at the number calling, if its your home number, its an intruder.

You can get the simple 'AT' command set from the modem handbook or by running the Diagnostic option in Windows.

Do you follow this?

It is probably a company that sells expensive (ripoff) security systems that is threatening you. Tell them where to go then get a buddy to check your place for a week.

audioguru said:
It is probably a company that sells expensive (ripoff) security systems that is threatening you. Tell them where to go then get a buddy to check your place for a week.
Hmmm. If we don't hear from this guy again, he probably took your advice and ended up in a morgue!!! :eek:

I think I'd have to get the police involved on this one. Unless the person threatening you is a professional (doubtful) they should be able to find out where the calls came from. If it did turn out to be a local business, then I'm sure the police would be very interested to pay them a visit!!!

Brian

Last edited:
You could build something really simple from a phone with redial capability, some relays and timers. One relay would take the phone off hook, another would momentary "press" the redial button. Timers would control the relays and thus the number of redials and calling intervals. Easier to do with a micro controller, but it can be done with ordinary parts such as the 4017 and 555 timers.

lol cheers for all your suggestions im not really sure how to start with any of them.

anyone know anything really simple for me to create for extra protection around my front door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back