Noob Question About Vernier Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honduras

I found a vernier dial. I don't know when I got it, but it was still packaged.

The question is how to install it?

It's in two pieces. One is the knob itself. The other is a circular piece of plastic with with a slot cut in it. The knob has a peg sticking out the bottom.

I assume this is a way to set a reference point to start the vernier action from.

The question is, "How do I mount the ring?"

It would have to be something like gluing the ring to the face plate of the device. There is no way that I can use screws to mount it. The knob will be simple if I can figure out how to mount the ring.

A photograph would be useful rather than trying to create a mental picture from you description.

JimB

Ok, I just looked at the latest one I have to install.
1. ring
2. pot
3. star washer
4. Nut
5. Optional 0.050 Hex wrench

1. Look for a hex or screw on the part that your fingers turn. Get the proper tool to fit. Usually it's a .050 hex wrench. The one I'm looking at now has a slotted screw. That screw attaches the dial to the shaft of the pot, so it initially has to be unscrewed so the shaft moves freely.

2. Turn the turns-counting dial left so it reads exactly zero. Lock the dial in place.

3. Insert the pot through the back of the panel with the star washer in place.

4. The plastic washer will go such that the pin on the dial fits into the plastic washer. In my case that slot on the washer is down. You may wish to mark this location before installation. i.e A cross hair extending through the diameter of the washer pointing "own" in my case.

5. Fasten the pot into place with attention to the orientation of the slot on the washer. The nut goes on top of the plastic washer.

6. Turn the pot fully CCW.

7. Attach the turns-counting dial and lock it to the shaft with the screw. The dial has to be SLIGHTLY puled out, so it doesn't jam because of friction.

8. Verify operation. 0 is a stop.

EDIT: you can actually set the final position, by setting the screw so it slips but turns the shaft. This means that your initial position when you installed has to be greater than 0. i.e aprox turn 1.
So you turn CCW until 0 is reached and then do the final tighten.

Last edited:

Great instructions.

The problem is that I am trying to upgrade a Ramsey HR-30.

The variable resistor is connected to the circuit board. It is not attached to the faceplate, which is made of cardboard. There are no nuts or washers provided. The shaft is plastic with with longitudinal striations. There is no set screw to tighten the knob on the shaft.

I may be forced to buy a new variable resistor, but that would require that I move the VR out of the case where everything would be fine, except for anchoring the ring.

Maybe this is also a time to get a new vernier.

Now, we really need a pic.

Thoughts anyway,

But, if you grabbed a pot such as this one: **broken link removed**

You can remove the bushing.

if you can re-enforce the panel that you have. i.e. bent aluminum backing you would hve something real to mount too.

The bushing can just be mounted to the front panel, just to keep the dial in place.

Hopefully your trying to upgeade one of these **broken link removed** and not one of these: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=qC4qgUlirs1-_Lzlf7bBXg&bvm=bv.85970519,d.cWc

In which, you would need to get a 10 turn pot and a turns counting dial. I'm sure you could make a plate to put on the back of the original face and say fasten with two torx screws. They would be visible, but would look nice.

You need a panel and you need a bushing. Now, I have seen bushings in older equipment. They were used to support long shafts.

Exactly what I needed to know. TYVM.

Good point. It's the former. I don't have much to do with winches lately.

I'm going to have to move the VR. Any other choice presents all kinds of problems. I thought I was pretty close when I found that vernier, it would even fit into the available space, but it sounds like I'm going to have to replace the VR, too.

A Velvet Vernier is gear drive with a large reduction factor. The vernier I have is not gear drive.

Your current pot is less than a turn. It's "possible" that you could get away with stealing the bushing from the pot I suggested, but a 10T pot might help out even more.

Why not buy another case and 10 turn potentiometer and move the panel to it. Other options like shaft extensions for the other two pots could work as well. You could also upgrade all three of them and make them panel mounted which could be simpler.

TYVM. That's what I am going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…