Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noobie saying hi and seeking guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitar4hire

Hi everyone my name's Alex.
I wanted to introduce myself as I am obviously new and needing a lot of help.
So I just wanted to at least be proper before I just start leeching for information. haha

Here it goes, So several weeks ago I somehow got the bright idea to try and turn a wall in my new apartment into a giant VU meter with EL Lights.
I quickly learned that the EL panels would be easier. Soon after I realized it would not be that much easier.
Thus I am now bringing it down to LED lights for this project.

The downside is that I still want to cover the wall.
An area approximately 10 feet wide and 3 feet tall.
(I am no way going to try to do a 10 x 10 area just yet.)

So I have very little electronics experience. Besides doing small work on my guitars and redoing the wiring for some boat trailers.
When it comes to circuit boards and parts I am out of my league.

So here are some questions.
1-Is it possible to build this wall sized vu meter with EL panels using LED circuitry?
2-If i just went with LEDs how would I go about making a board to light up a strip of 30-50 LEDs per vertical row?

Sorry for the lengthy intro. I just wanted everyone to understand I am a extremely serious about this project and I want to learn.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

A good start would be to get familiar with **broken link removed** That would be a foundation for the project. Then using the LM3914 look at some circuits like this.

There are dozens of possibles on what you can drive with it but I would start with a nice simple LED circuit and go from there.

Welcome To The Forums!

Ron

Thanks for the links and the advice.I think I am going to start testing out different led lights so I can kind of work the signal backwards. I think it will make it easier for me to understand what resistors I would need and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back