Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Novel soldering iron tip cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I pulled apart a microwave a couple of years ago so I could build a spot welder using the transformer, so naturally I also pulled apart the magnetron. The only thing I saved from that was the heatsink plates and this ring of brass wire mesh, just because it was interesting and I liked it.

Well, I thought I'd try using it to clean the really tough crud off my soldering iron tip, and it works really well! Going to make a little turntable for it to fix to the top of the iron's station :)

Attachments

• new-cleaner.JPG
    new-cleaner.JPG
    873.7 KB · Views: 222
Nifty idea.
I did something similar, a blade welder for my bandswa, but I never got it to work satifactory.
At the risk of sounding like a lurker, I'll just say that the ceramic ends of the magnetron contain beryllium which is very nasty, dont breath the dust if you break it.

I didn't break it - but thanks for the heads up, since I'm sort of vaguely looking out for another...

I've had a few for magnets and transformers, never thought about using the matt gizmo as a tip cleaner, will keep the next one.

I've had a few for magnets and transformers, never thought about using the matt gizmo as a tip cleaner, will keep the next one.

I've never seen one of those "matt gizmos". Question: Can you substitute a Brillo pad.

(The question mark on my keyboard is broken.)

I've never seen one of those "matt gizmos". Question: Can you substitute a Brillo pad.

Alt 63 is an alternative. :p

The "matt gizmo" is part of a magnetron from a microwave oven - not something you can buy. Most definitely do not substitute a Brillo pad, they are made of steel wool which is very abrasive and will destroy your bit.

Edit: Having said that, normal steel wool is manufactured as a form of swarf - long strips of shaved off metal with sharp edges. "Brillo" may be made differently since it is for household use.

I was inspired to try it from having seen brass wool tip cleaners you can buy, such as the ones from Xytronic.

Alt-63. One of the few things I never knew I missed about Windows...

Last edited:
hi,
Its handy when you can recycle items.

You can buy Brass mesh pan scrubber pads from your local hardware shop, that work as tip wipers.

E

I use circular copper scouring pads to clean dies with, oops I just lost one.

Alt-63. One of the few things I never knew I missed about Windows...

Simpler than keeping in memory, is looking at an ASCII table. (When started to use a PC, keyboards here had no "Ñ" or "ñ") so I got used to the table thing.

But very recently, when looking for the euro symbol had to go further: Alt 0128 (do not omit the zero). €

Funny thing was that the MPLAB IDE in one of its version couldn't handle our accents and that "ñ" (to comment code). Every time you reopened a project that text was a mess.

Babel was the last oportunity and it went seriously wrong!!! :p :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back