Ntsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

How difficult would it be for a pic (or some of them)
to be able to generate a NTSC video signal.

then offcourse i would need it to read the data from a DVD player sow in fact some decoding should be done

that would be the moest worse part right?
What if you would use a HDD instead and decode the video on your computer using some kind of format (the most pure)

than it should work

I suggest you try asking EXACTLY what you want to do, and not how you think it might be done?. I didn't understand what you want?.

NTSC

To devellop a small system wich could display a movi.

Connecting it to a NTSC ready device (television, small display etc.)

to be able to display a movi you would need a decodeing stage,
a memory stage and a displaying stage..

The displaying stage will only do the NTSC part..

the decodeing will be the commander of the NTSC commands?

i have got the feeling that NTSC isn´t what i think it is
is it digital??

is it commanding? per pixel?

Tks

It sounds like what you want is just a DVD player?.

You also don't understand what NTSC is?, it's simply a colour coding system (as used in the USA), it's also probably the poorest one, simply because it was first. The PAL system used in most of Europe is actually very similar, but builds on the roots of NTSC to overcome most of it's defects.

NTSC is popularly considered to mean "Never Twice the Same Colour", but actually stands for "National Television Standards Committee" - If I remember correctly?.

PAL stands for "Phase Alternating Line", which is what it does to cure the NTSC problems.

To generate NTSC (or PAL for that matter) specific encoder IC's are available, that's the easy bit - generating the RGB video in the first place is the hard bit!. The colour system (NTSC or PAL) is only that, the colour coding used - it doesn't tell you the line or frame rates.

When I was young someone told me the difference between the TV color systems. It was something to do with freedom.

For NTSC, user can adjust the color to whatever he wants, so one could adjust one most hated person to appear with a green face.

For PAL, user can only adjust bwtween color and blackwhite and in between so no one can have a green face.

For SECAM, one can not adjust the color satuation.

It's from old memory, so don't know if these still applies today.

A PIC cannot very effectively generate NTSC. It has nowhere near enough memory to hold even a single frame of video pixels. It can only generate a signal in a very limited sense on the fly if you use all the processor's capabilities just for generating video. Only slightly more advanced pic than "pong" is possible, and I think it may be a somewhat off-spec NTSC at that.

A PIC is not fast enough to read video from a DVD player, nor does it support any DVD-video bus specs.

Some of the most advanced PICs can read from some types of hard drives. For example some PICs have USB support so they may be able to read from a USB hard drive. But it could not do it at a high enough speed to process video off a drive.

There are some "rare" chips which can allow you to control a VGA monitor signal with a PIC. Usually they require you to install external high speed video RAM so it's complicated. It won't allow you to do anything like full motion video. For anything like that you need a Single Board Computer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…