Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

O2 sensor issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper007

Hi!

I have some problems with my car (rover 216) and i suspect faulty O2 sensor. Because i dont have oscilloscope i measured with analog V-m: Heres is the clip:

So please let me know if this O2 sensor works flawless or not ?

Regards,

Jurif

Last edited by a moderator:
How expensive is it to replace it? Sometimes it's easiest to check a part by trying another one, but that can get expensive.

Without a data sheet for the part you're trying to trouble shoot, it might be a little difficult. There are a couple different automotive types (5 wire versus 3 wire for example) and they all utilize heating elements. You would need to test one with some knowledge of what you're looking for and it wouldn't be a single measurement that determines whether the device is working properly or not. You'd need to check the heating element for one and then the sensor over a range of conditions. I would imagine automotive shops typically utilize engine controller fault codes to identify failed O2 sensors. In fact, they probably do that for most engine faults.

You dont need a Scope to check an O2 sensor. Yours apears to be working as its switching HI/LO, if it was reading only high or only low then there is a problem. Here is a little tester ive built & used for years diagnosing either faulty O2 sensors & fueling problems. Ive used long leads so it can be temporaily set on the dash for road testing. It should show ritch when acellerating & lean when decellerating, when cruising it should be constantly switching HI/LO.

Attachments

• EGO Tester.JPG
    EGO Tester.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • EGO Tester (2).JPG
    EGO Tester (2).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
Heres a bit of basics on how they work & testing a typical Bosch HEGO.

Attachments

• EGO Tester.3.jpg
    EGO Tester.3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • EGO Tester.4.jpg
    EGO Tester.4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back