Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Occupancy Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.M.

A while back i stumbled on a page that implemented a TTL (and more?) counting system to determine number of occupants in a given room.

I have been: 1)trying to search for that page but i cannot for the life of me remember what the title of the post was
2) trying to come up with my own simple low cost solution to this.

I have been thinking on the lines of some IR led's and a µContoller but with the programming etc... i feel as if that is a bit extensive for just a counter.

I have a few ideas such as:

two IR LED's separated at 'X' distance. When the beams are broken in sequence it will indicate a direction. I wish to add a value to either a register, or seven segment display each time someone enters and the opposite when someone leaves.

So far im not worried about two people entering simultaneously ill handle that later. I just want to build a working prototype for now.

My reason for this post is because i cannot find the other posts that may have helped me first. So now i am asking for the first step in this process... What would be a better method; strictly µController and IR leds, or perhaps a TTL system.

I pulled out my digital logic book but considering it has been over 2 years since i took the course i dont remember much. This is why i kind of want to side with the TTL method to refresh my memory.

Any help is appreciated

thanks

You could perhaps use some variation of a quadrature decoder such as this to generate the signal to count up or down based upon the direction of the pulses from the two LED detectors.

The attached is an example of a people counter I posted in these forums some time back. R1 and R3 do not have assigned because they will depend on the sensors used. The circuit uses a 74193 but a 74192 could be used depending on how many people you want to count to. If you wanted to count to 100 people you would use a pair of 74192 BCD up / down counters for example. Note how the logic is applied. The sensors would be spaced so a person entering would trip a sensor and while it is tripped trip the second sensor (spaced maybe 6" with a narrow beam). Anyway, something like the attached would work maybe.

Ron

Attachments

• People Count.gif
    People Count.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 378
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back