Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Odd behaviour with a proximity sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexanderfitu

Hi all

Im tyring to run a tachometer from a proximity sensor.

The tack is setup to look for 2 pulses per revolution.

I have a pulley with 2 magnets on it and a PR-12 2DN NPN NO Proximity sensor.

There are 3 wires on the sensor, Brown (+12v), Black (load) and Blue (0V). With nothing connected up apart from power and ground, I get 0v on the black wire with no magnet in front of the sensor, and 12v with the magnet in front of the sensor.

If I connect the the black wire to the tach input and measure again I get 0v and 3.7v respectively. The tach is looking for pulses WRT 12+V

The whole setup used to work with a reed switch, which I am trying to replace. (the reed switch broke as its obviously a bit delicate for this application)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Have you read the data sheet to determine the min. operate time (max frequency) for the proximity sensor? The last one of these I played with had a lot of delay till the output changed state...

Hmmm reading it now it says Max response frequency - 1.5KHZ so it should be ok?

1.5 khz 1500 times a second.

3600 rpm (which is max rpm on this engine) at 2 pulses per rotation is 7200 pulses per rpm which is max 120hz.

Does this sensor have an internal pull-up, or does it require an external one?

So what is the value of the pull-up resistor, and what voltage is it connected to?

edit: What is the sensor connected to? Post a schematic.

I found that I really needed to feed the prox output through a PNP bjt so I could get reliability..

Also a 2k pullup worked... But as the prox sensors differed from manufacturer to manufacturer the follower works best... ( I can also use PNP prox switches aswell..

Seriously... Try a 1k pullup...

I found that I really needed to feed the prox output through a PNP bjt so I could get reliability..

Also a 2k pullup worked... But as the prox sensors differed from manufacturer to manufacturer the follower works best... ( I can also use PNP prox switches aswell..

Seriously... Try a 1k pullup...

I will give a 1K pullup between black and blue a go. I will report back.

Sorry, I dont have a schematic for the tachometer, its a closed source thingy.
Can you determine its input characteristics? Threshold voltage, Input impedance? Open circuit input voltage?

If its an industrial proxy there are 2 basic types, npn and pnp, the o/p is switched to ground or + rail.
Your tacho if an older one is probably looking for a switch to ground input, as in old fashioned points (or fets in ecu's).
If your proxy is a pnp o/p it might not work, try putting a pull down resistor 470 ohms or so from the o/p of the proxy to ground.

Edit: I have tried running telemecanique proxys from 12v, even though they say on the side 12v - 240v ac or dc they dont work from 12v, 24v was the least it'd work off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back