OEM component camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edvin

Greetings,

I'm looking for a cost effective digital camera capture device/component.

I need equivalent functionality to an 8mp camera that allows me to set the
Apriture, focus, color balance.
Electronics 101 is the extend of my hardware knowledge,
However that's not going to stop me

I don't want a full blown retail camera.
I'm working on a concept that needs to use two digital capture devices
that can be part of a system (I can write the software)

Can anyone suggest components or maybe even vendors that could be helpful.
I can interface with a $120 retail camera; now i need to do the something with lower cost

tnx
Edvin

Last edited:
I suspect no one has replied because there's no solution - use the retail cameras, it's going to be your cheapest solution (by far I would have thought?).

The problem is finding an inexpensive camera that has firmware allowing interface to an external device that will allow doing the settings you mentioned. I don't know of one, especially in the inexpensive range you mention. I can do it, but only on my higher end cameras. I doubt you will find one.

Ron

Is camera required

Does it have to be a camera;
Isn't there equivilant sensor devices that can provide similar functionality.
Then, I can add custom lenses (since refocus is set at 2 feet away).

Those cameras need much more than an electronics 101 background.

Those cameras need much more than an electronics 101 background.

True, but I can't let my background limit my product development efforts.
I have to research, learn, ask, and pay for assistance in the areas that I lack.

Assuming I had a strong background in EE; what would the community recommend?

tnx
Edvin

Sure, drop the low cost part. Buy a set of consumer cameras Canon makes some excellent 8MP cameras and there is a Canon software hack for most that will give you more control. Even a USB trigger remote appears to be an option.
USB Remote Cable - CHDK Wiki

There also was BSRemote **broken link removed** for some older Canons. They'll be cheap now.

Last edited:
cannon cameras

I'm actually using CHDK and the cannon cameras for my current prototype, and have even written custom software for my desired functionality in ubasic.

I'm striving to slash the cost down to smaller and specialized component units.
Needless to say, I would have to account for manufacturing and assembly efforts.

I just can't believe that using retail cameras are the only cost effective options
(maybe, I should change gear and see what can be done to make such products available

Target market: consumers;
min units:2000 units
upper limit: 40k if it works
product: <stealth mode>

Last edited:

For a commercial product you need to be putting commercial budgets in place - but you can't be playing with only 2000 units, you'll need to be ordering many times more than that to be viable.

blueroomelectronics,
By "<Stealth mode>", I meant that I'm not ready to publicly disclose my concept yet.

Nigel,
regarding your commercial product/budget comment; I have no arguments there.
Because I'm working within constraints of my personal budget (no VC here) , I'm trying to minimize the expense; at some point, I have to seek the aid of other professionals.

Thank you for your feedback guys

You are on a road to failure my friend.

You should research patent law first before researching the construction results.

By placing the "idea" in the public domain, no one else can patent your idea.

So it comes down to marketing.

If you are going to market your idea, you will want to finish it as soon as possible.

Any idea you POSSIBLY have, has been had by hundreds of people before you, and others are having it AT THIS VERY SECOND.

It comes down to who markets it better.

By posting the Idea, you will get feedback about your design, you will LIKELY also find links to people that have done it before.

Stealth Mode is dumb. It is very very dumb.

If you cannot afford the cameras, then you cannot afford the MILLIONS of dollars it takes to protect a patent.

Any profit you plan on making will vaporize on legal costs.

Make the project public, get help on it, then market it yourself.

There may be $3 ways to do what you want to do, and you will have to wait until you remove your "stealth mode" and start to sell your product to find these out.

Now you will have competition that will have a much smaller manufacturing cost, and they will smash you. Then you will have a bunch of debt to pay back and no customers.

Look at products like the TV-be-gone. The instructions, schematics, and code are posted online for anyone to build. They also sell them.

So, now If I want to build one and compete with him, I can. But did I? no. Did I download the code and build my own? NO.

I bought one from him. So have a million others.

You are just keeping yourself out of the community.

Read up on open source and all the rights you can still keep. This way you are helping a community.

When others build 1 of your devices, and post it in their blog, 5 or 10 people may build it too. BUT 1000 may buy it from you.

The bloggers will aim the readers to your site where the buy now button is, as well as the "expert" in the field. You.

Look at this:
**broken link removed**

The designer/marketer is a member here, and he sells them. He ALSO gives the plans away for free.

Now he as a community of hundreds that can make improvements. He can then release the VERSION 3 or 4 o5 5 6 7 8 9 10

Anyone who can, can build it.. But those who are busy with other designs, will buy it for its functionality.

Those who HAVE to build it cant afford to buy it, so they WOULD NOT BE A CUSTOMER ANYWAY.

Just think about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…