Ohm's Law!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso

I am using 2 x full wave active bridge circuits (kindly posted by ericgibbs) to monitor voltage signals from 2 seperate Current Transformers, which then feed into a Voltage Comparator - LM339 to eventually activate a relay output.
I need the output from one of the op amps to be reduced by 1 volt, to give a bias for the comparator, but am struggling acheiving this.
I thought initially that as per the attached LTSpice example, just put a potentiometer on the Op Amp output and reduce it accordingly.... but I realise that as the output voltage increases, the drop on the resitor increases and I lose the 1 Volt required difference.
I am sure that there is a simple answer to this and I am going to look really stupid, but here goes!

Attachments

• FullPeak1.asc
    1.9 KB · Views: 145

hi,
Over what voltage range do you want a 1V differential.?

OT: where in South Yorks?

EDIT:
would this be acceptable.?

Attachments

• AAesp03.gif
    32 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
The output from the Op Amp will vary between 0v and 5v.
If the output is less than a volt, I don't need a negative final output, it doesnt need to go below 0v.
To explain why probably makes it clearer - Current Transformer 1 measures the power generated from my Solar energy PV system, Current Transformer 2 measures how much power is being drawn within my home. So if CT1 produces 1kw more than CT2, the circuit switches on a 1kw immersion heater, utilising the Solar electricity instead of it going into the grid.

EDIT - Doncaster

Last edited:

hi,
The diode in the o/p of the circuit I have posted should give around 0.6V, is that enough for the required comp bias.??

Ex-Rotherham boy.

1v is a estimate, once I have finished the circuit, I will have to test the outputs from the CT's, and ascertain what voltage equates to 1kw, so it may be 0.7v, 1v or even more.

hi,
The diode in the o/p of the circuit I have posted should give around 0.6V, is that enough for the required comp bias.??

Ex-Rotherham boy.

Thanks Eric
Using a shunt resistor across the Current Transformer I can use 0.6v up to about 3v, but there are 2 main issues;
1) The main one is that circuit works fine when the input is 6v or so, but the the most important measure is when the threshold voltage is just 0.6v - 1v (because that is the voltage where the circuit is most likely to become active), and at this low voltage, the diode forward voltage of 0.6v doesnt seem to hold true.
2) On your screenshot (same as my sim) the output voltage is not a steady DC voltage, but a sawtooth, which will cause problems when running it through a voltage comparator.

What ideally I (think!) I need, is a smooth output, with a consistant differential to the input between 0.5 and 3volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…