Old CTC165 RCA Console- No color when humid

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordial2

Hi all, My first post. Have been fixing stuff for many years, but this one stumps me. Hope someone can help. I have an RCA CTC 165 that had intermitent color and was brought to a service center and diagnosed as needing a flyback. Surely because they didn't want to be bothered. Well it's my Aunt's TV and I choose to be the hero. So we retrieved the set and I changed the jungle chip. N/G...Teaked some coils. N/G. This all happened last summer about now. So I pulled the chassis to solder some stuff. Since I had no jig-I figured i'd replace the color crystal for the hell of it. Well a few months later I brought it back and it was fine for a year. Soon as the humidity started. The same symptoms reappeared. A hero no more. Just hoping someone has a tip............Flummoxed

Perhaps something in the color killer circuit (which turns off the color oscillator when no color carrier is detected) may go off frequency with humidity and thus not detect the color burst signal to turn on the color oscillator. Without a schematic it would be pretty difficult to determine exactly where the problem might be.

Sounds like she might be in the market for a new flat panel TV.

Intermittent conduction during humidity (or lack of it) could be bust bunnies, during moist weather they'll make electrical connections enough to bleed of signal voltages/currents at least. Shine that board up good with a solid solvent spray down and dry off watching out for shorts. I've killed a few devices from cleaning because a dust bunny matted and nested behind something to cause a dead short afterwards. Dust his HORRIBLE stuff, all it takes is the least bit of moisture to turn it into a conductor once it's reached an appropriate density.

I wish it was a dust bunny....but chassis is super clean. Have the diagram....not much good w/o a jig a scope or a bench. Just trying to have 1 last victory. Guess it'd freeze spray and heat gun time. Thanx for reply

Not the chassis... The CHIPS I don't care how well you vacuume, what you find UNDER the chips even afterward can be impressive.

Last edited:
If you look at the stock clearance under chips and realize how small it is and then look at what can actually fit down there, they're immovable dust bunnies. Aside from hydrogen peroxide, there's little that can get rid of organics on that scale, and it'd still have to be blasted in, and the residue cleared out.

Last edited:
I'm going to pull the chassis and find a compressor. nothing could survive that. This time it's personnal........But it has to be dust.....TY

I'll bet a cold soldered joint. I have a similar issue I need to attack on an older set. The set won't turn on or I'll loose one of the guns. Knocking it, may make it work. Un-plugging it for a while will make it work.

Totally turning to back and white, if this is what it's doing does put the problem near the color burst crystal and it could be the color killer is out of adjustment.

Yeah..That's why I pulled the chassis a year ago. Soldered all suspicious looking connections involved with color-including near the flyback. In all my years I never had a cold solder react to humidity like this. Pulling it one more time to look for something.......Thanx

Time to start wiggling and to use freeze spray. If there are any connectors, you need to pay attention there too, by reseating them. In some TV's the colorburst crystal was socketed. I'd look there too.

My bet is still dust underneath pins that wasn't removed with normal cleaning.

In over 40 years as a professional TV repairer, I've NEVER seen any problems caused by dust inside the TV, nor heard of anyone who has - cleaning the dust out causes far more problems.

A common problem on many TV's was the trimmer capacitor across the crystal, one specific make/type fails a lot (and intermittently).

In over 40 years as a professional TV repairer, I've NEVER seen any problems caused by dust inside the TV, nor heard of anyone who has - cleaning the dust out causes far more problems.

I second that. My experience is however only around 20 Years. But probably enough. A couple of thousand TV's repaired. Dust....nah.

Cheers,
TV Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…