Old Musical Plsuh Circuit Board (1980s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

srichards00

I have a friend who is moving soon, while we were packing and cleaning up her basement she came across a musical plsuh toy that her grandma had given her when she was a child. She used to listen to it to make her fall asleep. I told her that It was probably just the batteries that were dead and said that I would find new ones and replace them.

Well I did that and the thing still won't work. I see the circuit board is kind of corroded as is the actually speaker piece. I took the whole thing apart and what im wondering now is what would be the best way get this thing to work again if only to record the sound. I only need it to play once as I am looking for the tune name more then anything.

Ive included some pics for better reference, any help would be much appreciated!

**broken link removed**

Not sure if this is a joke or not.

Circuit is the black blob (bump) in the center of the board. You must like this girl a lot.

I would take some 1000 or 1500 grit wet sand paper and go over the two speaker pads on the board, the ones on the speaker, the push button area (bottom center grid) and the battery pads on the board.

Was there a wire or something to connected the batteries. I see a left and right one, but they need to connect to get power to the circuit. I think you are missing that part in the picture.

Take a little aluminum foil and touch the button grid and it should works so long as the chip (bump) on it is working (and you connect the two batteries)?

1980's. Man I am old. And I can not imagine it played very long.

Haha, yeah i'm still pretty young... and nope this isn't a joke, but I know nothing about circuitry and what not. Thanks for the quick reply! The toy actually worked until just 5 years ago which is pretty amazing.

There was a little aluminum piece that sat in the in the white plastic part that would have connected the two batteries. I still have it.

I'll try what you have recommended, quick question though, what part ont he actual speaker should I clean, it has the bronze middle which is blackened and a silver outside which seems pretty clean? Should I clean both?

Thanks again!

Clean what contacts the connectors on the main unit. Be sure to clean the battery connections.

THe speaker is a cheap piezo transducer, the very thin foil on the back won't stand much cleaning. I'd just clean the copper part.

Don't use sandpaper- use a pink pencil eraser to clean the piezo element and the board contact pads. Wipe off any eraser particles using a small artist's brush or canned air, and not with your vaporous breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…