Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old printer with error sign any use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

We have this old printer that one day decided it wanted to say paper jam without any paper in it

i'm looking to see if its useful at all.

its got the green scanner light on the top and a heating bar for the toner...yes its a toner printer

**broken link removed**

some pics^^^
Sorry for the bad 2/3 pics but i cant use the macro mode in the basement as the flash turns off on that mode

any ideas what could be made from it or what i should keep other than the green light, stepper motors, pulley system with metal wire, heat tube and fan(s)?

You may find useful components on the control circutry.You will also find a inverter the runs the green lamp.

Meaby you can even fix it.Check that maby a mechanisem has bloked up or a photo inerupter or switch failed.

yes, I would follow the paper path and clean it out.

if you decide you want to trash it, there are lots of nice parts inside. stepper motors and drivers, ferrite beads (toroids and such as well), fuser assembly, ccfl inverter and bulb, lots of button switches, rails for the scanner head to travel on, maybe ribbon cables, power supply/transformer. lots and lots of photo interruptors. the scanner head probably has a linear encoder strip in it (to determine position). The LCD may or may not be usable

I pulled apart a brother laser printer (from around 1998) and it was a real treasuer trove. including the above stuff, I got a bunch of nice heat sinks for TO220s. what was dissapointing is that all the power ICs were house labeled and I didn't want to take the time to trace out the circuit and figure each one out. there was a multiwatt package that was probably the stepper driver but it didn't match any package I could find. sigh.

philba said:
yes, I would follow the paper path and clean it out.

if you decide you want to trash it, there are lots of nice parts inside. stepper motors and drivers, ferrite beads (toroids and such as well), fuser assembly, ccfl inverter and bulb, lots of button switches, rails for the scanner head to travel on, maybe ribbon cables, power supply/transformer. lots and lots of photo interruptors. the scanner head probably has a linear encoder strip in it (to determine position). The LCD may or may not be usable

I pulled apart a brother laser printer (from around 1998) and it was a real treasuer trove. including the above stuff, I got a bunch of nice heat sinks for TO220s. what was dissapointing is that all the power ICs were house labeled and I didn't want to take the time to trace out the circuit and figure each one out. there was a multiwatt package that was probably the stepper driver but it didn't match any package I could find. sigh.

i looked in it without taking it apart...its easy to see in there with the toner and all out and theres no paper or anything in there at all..strange

thanks, ill try fixing it some more but if not ill take the useful parts out

Try searching for your model # on the web, might find some cleaning/service info. Sounds like it would be worth repairing. Toner will sometimes fall off in flakes. If its a well used printer, always some dust. I just bought a laser printer a few months ago for toner transfer PC boards. Works great, just took a while to find the right paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back