Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

old processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarsingla

hi
does anyone has any idea how to use old processors like pentium for robotics purposes? if u know do suggest some tutorial please.
thanx

Do you want to use Pentiums on existing motherboards or do you want to design a new board using the Pentium chips acauired form some source?

Have you ever seen a Pentium? I would not call it small. Certainly an entire motherboard at about 1 sq ft. is not small. Where do you get these quaint notions?

Look for PC104 format boards although I don't think the pentium PC104 are that old.

samarsingla said:
whatever but it should be small....
howmuch small..? as suggested it is about 1sqfeet in addition to powersupply .but if u need u can use these to control something , strip-off it t the basic and use dos, embedded linux. beware of the OSs limitations and the control lines/hardware limitations.

samarsingla said:
hi
does anyone has any idea how to use old processors like pentium for robotics purposes? if u know do suggest some tutorial please.
thanx

You probably want a smaller processor, the 8052 is popular and really old.

An 8088 or better yet a NEC V20 wouldn't be tough to wire up.

Pentiums will eat your batteries & run nice and toasty.

what kind of memory could be used that could hold dos or linux, i think about 100 mb should be sufficient. can i use the memory there in pendrives? and ram could be the standard one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back