On or Toggling 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricky

HI

I would like to know if there is A easy way to hook up some Electronis. So when I send 12v
down A wire it would turn on A (led #1), and that same line, I were to send 12v toggling. A
(led #2) would light up and (led #1 would be off). So the Electronis would have to determine
if the line was (toggling or remains at 12v). What I am using to toggle the 12v is A turn light
flasher, out of A car. So there is 3sec. form toggle to toggle. (12v=led #1 is on, (led #2 off)
(12v toggling= led #2 is on (led #1 is off).

Below I have A Timing Diagram........The toggling is not in ms. it's in sec.

Attachments

• Timming Diagram..JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Does it have to be with toggling vs non toggling? While it can be done, it would be simpler just to light two different LEDs by reversing the DC polarity on the wire. ie: What is the actual application for this?

This can be done with logic gates and a counter, possibly the CD4017 with some diode logic.

As mentioned above, why? Is this an assignment?

Hi

What I am shooting for on the (12v toggling or 12v on). I want to plug into the trailer plug, on the back end of a car, with one wire. The (Right Turn and Brake Light plug) is the one I want to plug into, so if there 12v on, there would be some electronics that would know that it was on and switch on Led #1. The same electronics would know if it was toggling and switch on Led #2. If there was no power to the
wire the electronics would make, Both Led's turn off. I am just looking to get the right
side working, for now. If the pulses were in ms, I could have A Microcontroller read it
and do what I want it to do. But the pulses are like 3 sec. when its toggling. So A
Microcontroller can't read it. I don't want to go inside the car and dig for wires, to
hook up to the Microcontroller, that would be to hard to find them.
So how would I go about hooking up the 4017 I/O chip and diode be hook up to make
this work.

What the led's represent are on or off. Led #1 would be hook to A I/O pin 11 on A
Microcontroller. The Microcontroller will switch more Led's on for the Brake.
If led #2 is on, it would be hooked up to I/0 pin 23 it would make led sequence.
I have the Microcontroller working fine.

I just need help with the Electronis determining
if the right turn light is (Toggling or On).
If Toggling = led #2 is on.
If On = led #1 is on.
If no Power = led #1 off and led #1 is off

Thank you............

Attachments

• Trailer Plug 2..JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure what you're doing or why you can't use an MCU but this is how to get the timing diagram in your first post.

Attachments

• 4017 relay..PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 184
Hi

I am not very good at explaining what I am trying to make. I will give it one more try. What I am trying to make is A led light bar. The light bar will go on the back of my car. So when I step on the brake pedal, the led light bar will light up 50 led's. When I step off the brake pedal, all 50 led's will be off. When I use my turn signal, and want to turn to the right, 25 of the 50 led's, will be sequence. From the middle of the light bar. Left to the right. When the turn signal is turned off, all
50 led's are off. So what I am looking for is your help on determine if the right turn light is (ON or TOGGING or OFF). If its
(ON or Brake is the same thing) switch led #2 on. If its (Togging or Turn light is on) switch on led #1). If its off (led #1 and led #2 are OFF). So what the led's mean is, To the I/O Microcontroller if Led #2 is on turn all led's. If led #1 sequence half of led's.

So what it leads down to is, I am going to use two Microcontroller to run, the right turn single and to run the left turn single. Left Microcontroller will run 25 led's. Right Microcontroller will run 25 led's.

Here is A utub web place to see what I am shooting for.

YouTube - Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe Tail Light

YouTube - Bluebird 510 SSS coupe hazard lights

YouTube - Sequential Turn Signals, Brake Lights and Hazards

YouTube - Jack's 2008 Mustang GT/CS - Sequential Turn Signals

Thank you

I can see what you're trying to do now but I still don't understand why you can't use an MCU.

A CD4017 could be used too but it'll be more complicated.

This is kind of what I am trying to do, but is there A way to make the Logic easy. So if the trailer plug is off, the two led's are off. If The brake is on, only one led's is on. If the turn or toggling, the other led is on. Not like I have it and both are on. If you can help, cool. What I am shooting for is. The led's are going to switch A Microcontroller. I wish I could program the Microcontroller, but I have tryed. I can't. So if you can help great...

Attachments

• Toggling..JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Off..JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Brake (red)..JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
It sounds like you are trying to detect the difference between
"Turn Signal on" and "Brake Light on"
.. by checking only the voltage on one lamp, the right turn signal, which does both jobs.

It is possible to detect that the signal is toggling by running it into a one-shot triggered by low-high transition at time T0, running until time T3.
At time T3, the input signal is compared:
"If the input is STILL high at time T3 it is on steadily"
"If the input is OFF at T3, it is TOGGLING"
Lots of gotchas in that, but the major problem is that you can't tell that it's toggling until time T3, which, for turn signals is about 1.5 seconds or so.

What would really help is access to a 'brake-light only' circuit. Most cars now have a third brake light, mounted at the center of the rear window. Sometimes the wiring is accessible from the trunk.

Wade Hassler,

How would I go about making the circuit? I have two way's of making A one shot,
I put then on the Attachments.

Attachments

• One Shot 22..JPG
    69 KB · Views: 162
  • One Shot 2..JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 168
Why do you post negatives rather than positives?

The 555 circuit is wrong, pin 5 and pin 1 are the wrong way round on the 555 and there's a resistor in series with the capacitor when there shouldn't be - use the circuit on the datasheet.

The OR gate circuit looks promising but it's not drawn in the conventional manner so I could be wrong.

Wade Hassler,

How would I go about making the circuit? I have two way's of making A one shot,
I put then on the Attachments.

Here's an (untested [1]) diagram:

OS1 ('one-shot') is positive-edge triggered, and goes low at a time when the input must be in the
low-state if it is to be judged 'toggling'
OS2 is positive-edge triggered, re-triggerable, non-resettable and lasts just a bit longer than a period of the input, making the output continuous

I remember that you wanted to avoid OR (or NOR in this case) gates,
but a CD4001 would run on +12 volts

It would still be easier to get hold of the brake-light wire

Wade Hassler

[1] gonna stay that way, too... I have to get out there plant potatoes today

Hi

Is there anyway that you could help me out by starting on making the circuit to make the led's on, when toggling and on 12v. I don't know alot about logic gate's, positive edge triggered one shot , and retriggerable one shot. So could you get the circuits up and running, because, All I know about Electronics is the Basic. I read A book on (What's A Microcontroller), So I can program the Microcontroller to make the led's move from left to right and all come on and all go off at the same time. But what I know from the pro's is the Circuit to read the toggling and on 12v from trailer plug. So if pin1 on the Microcontroller is high do this. If Pin2 is high do is. Pin1 and pin2 are the led's. In the on and toggling 12v.

If you can help great, if you can't help great.........

Last edited:
Here ya go...

The LED lights up when the input is toggling

It has two known problems: (assume Vin is 1 Hz)
1. LED lights up for about a half-second when the input goes high and stays high
This could be remedied with another one-shot and some logic.
2. It lights up when power is applied. This may be a 555 problem or a simulation problem

Don't know if you still need this, but....

This assumes that you know the input's toggle-rate within 10%
If it's sloppier than that, you can shorten 'Tdel' and lengthen 'Twind'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…