Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One-Time Pulse Needed. Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

micro571

Hi,

The end result that I need to obtain is get a pulse that will last for 30 seconds and then go off (and not go back on).

I figured that would be easy enough to do with a 555 timer in monostable mode ... but I've run into a problem.

There is no way to get the pulse to fire once on startup. If the trigger pin is held high on power-up, nothing happens, if it is held low, LED stays on forever because the circuit keeps re-triggering itself.

To trigger the 555, it requires a high-low-high pulse. So what I need is a high-low-high pulse on power-up to trigger the 555 once. Does anyone know how I could do that?

Are there any other solutions for getting a 30s pulse on power-up? I can't have push buttons in my circuit, so a traditional trigger won't work.

I've been pulling my hair out for almost a week on this thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Micro571

To have a 555 monostable generate a pulse on power up all you need to do is put a resistor from pin 2 to Vcc, put a capacitor from pin 2 to ground.
With your requirement of a 30 second pulse I would use a 10k as the resistor and a 1 uf electrolytic with the postive on pin 2.
On power up pin 2 will be at ground, a short time later it will be a Vcc as the capacitor charges. Thus only generating a pulse on power up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back