Online parts shopping on Avnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalauzier

Hello again, I found a website that offers the LM386 op-amp for around $0.37. It is on Avnetexpress.avnet.com/store. I know that older IC's are cheap, but is this too cheap? Is that a normal price for a part like that or would it be a bad quality product at that price. I was also wondering if Avnet is a dependable and quality store? And my final question is, can you use the lm386n-4 the same as the lm386n-1. I have built a few circuits with the lm386n-1, so would they also work with the n-4? or do they need more power. Can i just take the n-1 out of the socket and put in an n-4 without making any changes to the circuit and it will still work at ≈1W? Thanks again

Avnet is on a par with Allied Electronics, Mouser, and DigiKey.

Only a detailed reading of the **broken link removed** will answer your other questions

Last edited:
So Avnet is a good supplier? I am glad to here that. As for the Datasheet, I am not exactly sure how to read them, but what I could see is that the n-4 could take +6V more than the n-1, and it had a higher load of 32Ω. Am I right? So I could use the existing circuits and even boost the voltage a bit for maximum output.

In South Africa we have Avnet Kopp, and also one of the cheapest and best suppliers of electronic components south of the Sahara

If you were using 16 or 32 ohm speakers the -4 would offer an advantage because of the higher voltage swing. The only other difference I see is that the -1 will work at lower voltage. It's only a guess that there was a need to have a part run off 12 volt batteries. Thus the -4. Or maybe 2 8 ohm speakers in series (front & rear)???

Alright, thank you all, Avnet is a good supplier and I will try the n-4 if I can find a larger wall wart and 12V battery holders

When I worked at Avnet Kopp (south africa), the figures at the time showed Avnet (globally) as the number 1 supplier of components in the world.

Crap I left them and I'm still advertising for them HAHAHAHAHA

Thank you, that is good to hear, although it can be difficult to buy from them because many of the components that I would like to get are only sold in bulk, and I only need one or two of them

I usually buy at Newark (Farnell) and just by curiosity I compared a PIC16F628A I/SO, on AVNET set to CAD Dollars they show a quantity of 1100 and a minimum purchase qty of 1100 for $2.6593/ea
On Newark the same component is $2.00 (minimum qty is 1) what I found interesting which can be a coincidence, Newark have 1100 in stock!

Mike

That is quite odd, as the SOIC packaging for that device comes in a tube. Normally if its on a reel, Avnet and alot of other companies, don't like breaking a reel as its harder to resell a broken reel to someone else.
Maybe if you can't get stock anywhere else, and you mention to a sales person that the MOQ is 1100 they might just correct it and sell you the quantity you need? well a tube quantity that is.

You are probably right for the MOQ.

I just compared other components and I guess that was a coincidence. however AVNET are slightly more expensive. Maybe they are cheaper on shipping charges? I couldn't find any details, Newark charge a flat $12 for an order.

Mike

Avnet is geared more toward bulk sales in my experience. Digikey and Mouser are much more reliable? about selling units in single quantities and having them in stock. I do electronics R&D and I'm always needing one piece of this or two pieces of that for protos. Prefer Digi and Mouser by far to Avnet for that reason. If I worked at a large scale manufacturing outfit that bought large quantities of reels my opinion would probably be different.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the strategy is in other countries, but in SA if you were busy with R&D with the potential to have a finished product with high volumes, we used to supply you with free samples to support you. Doing this will almost ensure us that your finished product will have the brand that we represent and that you would buy the volumes from us when in production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…