Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OOPic or USB Bit Wacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the OOPic-R Is easier for interfacing to things like sensors and servos because all the object blocks in software are premade almost), but you're more limited (that's the price you pay for easy interfacing).

@blueroomelectronics: robotics.

@dknguyen: do have any suggestions other than those two microcontrollers?

tushiro said:
@blueroomelectronics: robotics.

@dknguyen: do have any suggestions other than those two microcontrollers?
just the dsPIC, but then that means the PIC18F would be good enough.

It depends on what you want to teach.

If your intent is to teach object oriented programming then an OOPic is the logical choice.

The UBW can read/write, do ADC etc under the controll of a PC over the USB connection. No programming required, the control code is all on the PC.

When and if students are ready they can modify the UBW code or replace it with their own. If you replace the UBW code it is becomes a bootloadable 18F USB enabled target/controller.

It gives you the best of both worlds. (PC and local control)

It is also inexpensive to buy or build.

I suggest you buy or build one and give it a try.

Well for robotics I've use the 18F2550 (No USB) and you could use C18 or Swordfish basic. I use the 18F2550 on the Mongoose Robot (see my homepage for a photo)

You should take a look at dedicated USB to MCU interface controllers such as FTDI's various chips.

here are courses that requires interfacing in computer engineering program.

I/O and memory system
outline: 1. system busses
1.1 parallel
1.2 serial
2. I/O devices
3. Signal Conversion
3.1 ADC
3.2 DAC
4. Interface Project

Microprocessor System
outline: 1. Mapping and Decoding
1.1 Memory Interfacing
1.2 CPU support devices programming
1.2.1 DMA
1.2.2 PPI
1.2.3 Programmable Interrupt Interface
2. Microcontroller

can you suggest a specific device that can be used for this two courses? What I have learned back in college are now obsolete. we are planning to implement this next school year so that we will have time to look for a device that suit the needs of the students.

Using any microcontroller will isolate your students from the processor bus. If your goal is to teach bus level interfacing then it does not make sense to use a microcontroller in conjunction with a PC.

If you want to teach these topics but do not much care at what level it is done then the UBW (and others) will work fine.

For example you could have students use the UBW's internal ADC to learn about ADC. You could also have them build their own and use the UBW to read and write to their ADC circuit.

You have to figure out what you want to do.

If you want to keep the course work about the same maybe you should revisit working on the PCI bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back