Openings @ Texas Instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasAvature

I'm currently looking for analog/digital/mixed-signal IC design engineers with at least 2 years of industry experience and residing in the US or Canada. Please feel free to contact me for more details or give out my contact information to anyone interested.
Lucas Rivas
Avature
Global Recruiting Services
www.avature.net
lucas@avature.net
(212) 380-4160 ext.335

WOW! It sounds like a very good job. For Texas Instruments, no less. WOW! :lol: :lol:
But it sounds like it is only for someone already doing that very good job for their competitor. Right?

It sounds like Texas Instruments don't use their knowledge of the industry to hire the best people they know. Instead they hire a headhunter.
It sounds like they don't even train new people, they just get a thumbs-up from a headhunter then the candidate gets the job.
It sounds like I won't be recommending nor buying Texas Instruments products anymore. :cry:

Different oppinions

Texas Instruments actually hires recently graduated people from universities and the organise job fairs for those matters. Of course you are always entitled to your opinion.

Re: Different oppinions

LucasAvature said:
Of course you are always entitled to your opinion.
Thank you. I got calls from headhunters all the time. None tempted me away from my job. Previous colleagues did when the timing was perfect.
Good luck.

I don't understand why that offended you. :?: :?:

No offense taken my friend. A good listener (or reader in this case) would perfectly see that there was no bad attitudes involved in my reply. It was just me providing audioguru with some useful info that he may not have had at the moment of his statement. Anyways, everyone is entitled to his one opinion, and I take opinions from the others as ways of learning new stuff. You always get to learn sthg from any given situation. His point is valid though, since what I'm looking for is experienced people. My point was that the company also looks for fresh people. So, it can be both things and not just one or the other, don't you think?

I think TI is looking for a replacement for Ron Mancini, their expert scientist for many years. They knew he was getting old and would retire soon.
Instead of training one of their young existing employees to do his job, they hired a headhunter to lure an expert from a competitor.
TI knew many experts in the industry but didn't bother asking them directly.

Poor TI.
Poor competitor who will lose their best expert.
Poor headhunter.

Audioguru, you may be correct about Ron Mancini, but so what? It is generally not cool for a company like TI to call a competitor's employee directly. As for training a young engineer to be an analog guru - dream on. Analog gurus are few and far between. I have worked as an analog design engineer for 40+ years, and I can only think of maybe half a dozen of Ron Mancini's caliber (that I know of, of course). I'm thinking of Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Bob Widlar, etc. I'm sure there are others (like me) that slave in obscurity. Having said all that, Mancini was not a design engineer, even when I first met him while he was working for Harris. He's a marketing guy now, and has been for at least 10-12 years.
I'm just saying that it is quite possible that TI doesn't have a guy with Mancini's combination of talents and experience - assuming that that is what LucasAvature is looking for, which is a big assumption (two years ' experience would hardly qualify a person to replace Mancini). I just saw it as a more open-ended fishing expedition, and I have no aversion to headhunters - one of the best jobs I ever had I got through a headhunter.

LucasAventure, I wasn't addressing my question about being offended to you, it was to Audioguru. He seemed rather incensed.

I saw a TV documentary about the biggest British and Canadian headhunting company. The producers used hidden cameras.
They ripped-off many immigrants of their life savings for "training" and their fee. The headhunters lied through their teeth.

Sorry. I just misunderstood you Ron. And, in fact, you're right all the way. I'm just looking for people with little industry experience. And, to you audiguru, I'm an honest recruiter. The world is full of people that would do anything for a few extra bucks, but that's not my case, nor my company's. My search is legitimate. If you don't like headhunters, you made your point already. End of the question.

Yes, it seems Audioguru has a personal vendetta against headhunters. Hey, to each his own, seems like he hasn't had good experiences with them. However, assaulting the stereotypical "bad headhunter" in this thread does not seem appropriate at all, the OP has not said anything to label himself as such.

In my opinion, if the applicants have to go through a rigorous enough interview process, it shouldn't matter how they were informed of the job opening in the first place. Sure, they could get a more concentrated pool of experienced engineers if they only try looking for them at competing companies, however that's not to say they couldn't potentially find some other qualified applicants with a little 'fishing'. If I weren't tied to this university for another 2 years for a graduate degree, I'd be quite interested in hearing what similar job openings were available at the company

audioguru said:
I saw a TV documentary about the biggest British and Canadian headhunting company. The producers used hidden cameras.
They ripped-off many immigrants of their life savings for "training" and their fee. The headhunters lied through their teeth.
That certainly sheds some light on your opinion. Sorry if I came on a little strongly.
I have to admit that I have been annoyed from time to time by cold-calling headhunters. I'm not sure what it is that sets me off, though, because sometimes I am willing to talk even though I am almost never looking to change jobs, and I have only given my business to one of them in my entire career.

no harm done. Cold calling is not my style anyways. referrals work pretty good, specially when you build responsibly a network. Take care, my friend. It's been a pleasure meeting you.

Ron,
Were you on this forum last year when a guy called "The One" was an occasional expert on the forum?
His pic is a dead-ringer of Bob (Santa) Pease.

There are lots of old geek geezers ready to retire. Surely the management of the big companies have noticed?

Yeah, I remember him. His avatar is still there. He does look a lot like Bob Pease.
I guess that young (new?) geezers eventually replace old geezers.

Attachments

• theone.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 655
LucasAvature said:
no harm done. Cold calling is not my style anyways. referrals work pretty good, specially when you build responsibly a network. Take care, my friend. It's been a pleasure meeting you.
Lucas, you are apparently egocentric. :roll:
I was addressing Audioguru again.

Just out of curiousity, where would the job opportunities be?
I lack the 2 years industrial experience, but ive got 2 years garage experience under my belt :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…