Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Operating a PIC from a negative supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

I have a little project that involves measuring an analog signal that's negative relative to ground, and then displaying the result on some LEDs. The simplest solution, I think, would be to connect the PIC's VDD to ground and VSS to a –5 volt supply. Then the analog signal would fall within the range of the PIC's analog input. This isn't anything that needs surgical accuracy. Has anyone done this before? Anything that I need to beware of?

Obviously I'll be programming it out of circuit. :D

Yeah, it's a multiplexed 4x4 grid of 16 LEDs operating from 8 output lines. So, the only thing that's really linked to the outside world is the analog input signal.

The only real issue is that I need to run it from a negative voltage regulator so that the positive side of the supply is at true ground potential. Aaaannnd... I suddenly realized that I forgot to order a negative regulator in my parts shipment that arrived today. Arrrrgh! So, I've had to temporarily test things out using a positive supply, which is fine for bench testing. Anyway, I got the whole thing breadboarded and working. I was a bit concerned about the analog input section because I need an input impedance of many megohms. The input signal actually goes down to around –20 volts. I built a source follower with a P-channel JFET, with a 20 Meg / 4.7 meg voltage divider at the input, and it works like a charm.

Now to find a negative regulator.

If the power feeding the regulator is floating, you can use a positive regulator and ground it's +5V ouput pin.

I almost said: Zener + resistor, then I remembered you have LEDs to light. So 7905!

Yes, I've used the zener + resistor method in the past when the PIC wasn't driving any load, but the LEDs are the problem. And to answer Chris's comment, the power comes from a 6.3 V AC supply that has one side grounded. So the 7905 is the only option. Anyway, I did find a 7905 locally and everything is now working perfectly.

BTW, if anyone's interested, the point of this project was to make a solid state replacement for a 6E5 or 6U5 magic eye indicator tube, which was used as a tuning indicator in old radios. I found a circular LED bargraph display on Ebay that was the correct diameter. So that was the motivation for the project. The details are here: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
I did find a 7905 locally and............
I spent many years in Alberta. 40+ years ago in a small town there was no locally.
Fill out a order, and a post office money order, put it in the post, wait a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back