Opinions on powerline networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotowar

Have any of you guys tried power line networking? My computer knowledge far out paces that of general electronics, and power line networking is one of those fringe things.

As I posted earlier, I have a dedicated desktop for my projects, but I would like internet access on it so I don't have to jump back and forth between my laptop and desktop.

My situation requires either a super complex setup of wireless bridges, or the simple setup of power line network adapters. I was wondering how reliable they are in everyday use. The reviews I've found have had mixed feelings, some people saying they were the best thing invented while others claim they are the spawn of hell. I was wondering if any of you have used them, and if you could please share any experience you've had with them.

Thanks in advance!

Lemme see
1 Desktop -- Check
1 Laptop -- Check
1 Router -- Check
1 Cable/DSLModem -- Check

I don't see the need for a complex set of wireless bridges. The laptop maybe needs a wireless card to talk to the router, but that is about it. Where do you get your quaint notions?

I agree with PB, it is a non-problem.

As regards high speed data over power lines, a truly bad idea, hellspawn, sperm of the devil! Please dont do it.

JimB

mabey he works from his garage on his projects, and uses the laptop in the house - if its further than about 20-25 meters, you would start to lose connection occasionallly, so would require a repeater to get the signal out to the garage.

then again, mabey im totally wrong, but I know i cant get wifi in my garage!

Years of RF experience tells me that antennas are everything when it comes to extending rage and reliability. Amplifiers are a poor second in bang for the buck, especially at WiFi frequencies. There are probably only a handful of people on the planet who could design a 1KW 2.4GHz amplifier.

"There are probably only a handful of people on the planet who could design a 1KW 2.4GHz amplifier."

WOW, then they must get paid like rock starts and left handed ML baseball players. Supply and demand you know

Lefty

...WOW, then they must get paid like rock starts and left handed ML baseball players. ...
Nah..they get abused by management just like everybody else.

BTW...what exactly is a rock start!?

Last edited:
"BTW...what exactly is a rock start!?"

Damn if I remember now, I'm kind of busy fine tuning my 100KW 45Ghz amp

Last edited:

Hi there!

This is another of those situations where it would be preferable to explain (exactly) what the problem you are trying to solve is, instead of explaining what you think needs to be done to solve it. It has often happened that someone comes to the list with a problem with a solution they've come up with to a problem they have, and we spend a week spinning our wheels trying to help the poster--and finally we manage to drag out of them what they're actually trying to do. Usually at this point somebody says something like "Oh! Is that all you wanted? Why didn't you say so? You can do that with a $10 frobnitz from Radio Shack."

Let's just say that if power line networking is the answer, you very likely asked the wrong question.

Torben

Okay, you're right, I should have explained my problem better. Here it goes.

I have a desktop in my bedroom that has an ethernet port but no wireless capabilities. As I stated in other posts, this thing is a piece, its a 400MHz P2 processor with like 128MB of PC133 RAM. I'm planning on using it to design electrical schematics and to program in assembly. Currently I have a HUGE ethernet cable running through the house, downstairs, and back through the house to the office so I can connect to the internet on my desktop.

I have two wireless routers, one of which I can't really mess with too much as its my parents, but the other is mine, so I can do whatever I want to it. I tried using my wireless router as a wireless bridge, but it doesn't work. Basically I wanted to get the internet from downstairs to upstairs as cheaply as possible. Wiring through the house is also not really an option, as my parents are significantly less fond of electronics than am I.

The solutions I've received from people are as follows:
Use powerline network adapters and ethernet cables to go from router A to wall outlet, and from upstairs wall outlet to router B.

Buy two routers that can communicate wirelessly from point to point, and run ethernet from the modem to router A, have a wireless link from router A to router B, and run ethernet from router B to the upstairs desktop.

Run an ethernet cable through the floor and wall to the downstairs office.

Buy a wireless adapter for the desktop.

I would like to avoid putting any more money into the desktop than I already have (bought a fan and an IDE cable) seeing as the thing is worth practically nothing. I can't afford to buy more routers, and running ethernet through the walls and floor is almost certainly out of the question. That leaves me with powerline network adapters.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

a wireless card for the desktop would be the cheapest option (certinly cheaper than buying powerline adapters)

a wireless card for the desktop would be the cheapest option (certinly cheaper than buying powerline adapters)

Agreed. And you won't have local hams pounding on your door because of all the wideband HF crap you're pouring out with the Ethernet-over-power-line jammer you've built.

If all else fails, a computer with two NICs + 1 Wifi router + a little work setting up the routing properly == easy Wifi bridge.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…