Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optimizing capacitive sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geowal19

I am trying to create a capacitive sensor that detects one's foot on an electric bike for safety. It needs to be able to sense the foot up to 10cm away from the bike so I have used a large surface area of 40 x 70mm. I'm using the Arduino for this sensing but I'm having trouble with it. The values being returned are very noisy and it's very hard to obtain useful data from the sensor. Also the sensor will hang 'on' once the foot has left the sensor. I have created a plane behind the sensor using a dual layer board. I've used this plane as a ground plane however a large value is returned and doesn't change with the presence of the foot. I've also used it by attaching the driving signal to it however the value returned is then 0, permanently. I have tried using the auto calibration in the Arduino and just using the 'Raw' function which just returns the capacitance sensor without any filtering without getting any improvements. This is all with the Arduino attached to my laptop and thus grounded to earth. Once the Arduino is operating on batteries the sensor is completely useless. Is there anything I can do to optimise the sensor? Or are there any alternatives to capacitive sensing? IR was considered and tested however sunlight would saturate the sensor on making it useless once more.

Thank you for replying but this doesn't help me. It's for safety in case the rider falls off.
Wouldn't you want to shut off the motor if the rider's foot is 1mm off the pedal?

Capacitive sensors suck, especially for a safety application. Can you say lawsuit?

It may well be that the original poster's application is a personal hobby project, and therefore that law doesn't enter into it.
That said, obviously it does need to be safe, but 10cm does seem like a large detection distance?

Sadly I know precisely nothing about captivate sensors, so I can't answer your question either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back