Oscillator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng1

Would you use IntOSC to make a serial communication between a PIC and a computer? is a xtal reccomended for this task?
Thanks

The INTOSC tolerance varies considerably at temperature extremes but is very reliable for serial I/O in environments with stable temperatures.

Mike

eng1 said:
Would you use IntOSC to make a serial communication between a PIC and a computer? is a xtal reccomended for this task?
Thanks

Try my PIC tutorials, they all use the internal oscillator (where available), it's fine for serial - or for the vast majority of purposes.

I asked that question because I am testing the internal oscillator with a frequency meter. A simple routine switch a pin on and off... the pin turns on and off @ 50 Hz, if a crystal is used. When using the int osc the frequency is 58 Hz without calibration and it becomes 52 Hz with calibration.
What do you think of theese results in order to make a serial communication (@2400 baud)?

As I said before, the internal oscillator is fine for serial, certainly as high as 9600 baud which I always use - so 2400 baud is even easier!. This is on a 16F628, where there is no calibration adjustment, so a calibrated PIC should be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…