outdoor survillence

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastermind1302

iam a doing a project on outdoor survillence.so,based upon that my first block is an image sensor .which captures the video . my next job is to transmit it wirelessly.the output of the image sensor is a parallel output.which is a digital signal .my question how do i transmit it??if so what can be the best way to transmit a digital signal wirelessly(do i need a serial conversation??).and remember the frame rate of the image is 30FPS...so i need to even match to a suitable transmitter.

Last edited:
You can buy off the shelf wireless cameras/receivers for under $100. Also have seen some relatively inexpensive WIFI enabled cameras. What are you trying to do differently, that you couldn't use ready made equipment? I don't think this would be a fun or cheap project to do from basic components...

"You can buy off the shelf wireless cameras/receivers for under $100. Also have seen some relatively inexpensive WIFI enabled cameras. What are you trying to do differently, that you couldn't use ready made equipment? I don't think this would be a fun or cheap project to do from basic components..."

what iam doing is a low cost surviellence project.Thats why iam looking at biulding my own block.if i buy a WIFI enabled cameras there's nothing iam doing on my own.

I'll remember the 'low-cost' requirement...

So your camera, got any details? Do you mean it outputs the raw line scans? I've only messed with cameras that output the analog signal need by most monitors and VCRs. Guess it would take a very high speed processor to, and something to buffer the bits as they get shift out serially. This is way out of my league, pretty sure this isn't a simple hobby project, it's going to take some time and money.

It is almost certain that it will cost you a lot more to do it yourself than to buy the equipment. It's a far from trivial task.

yes ,i have an image sensor from KODAK KAC-9628
CMOS IMAGE SENSOR 648 (H) X 488 (V)
High Dynamic Range 30 fps
the output which is a digital signal. And yes as u said it reads line by line and keeps the entire data (image or video) as a digital signal.its jus coz 20 $.since its a cmos made cost is low...if u go for ccd u will have 30$,but i prefer a cmos image sensor ,because it doesnt need any drivers. Iam ok with this first part.my question is now how do i transmit this signals wirelessley.

648 x 488 x 30 fps = some where around 10 million bits per second. Perhaps some sort of compression scheme could knock that down a little. Still way to much for anything I ever worked with.

I download the data sheet (attached), seems you still need the processing board, or maybe that is what you hope to build at this point. I just browsed through the document, but seems like a pretty cool part, but think you need much more to get it working.

Attachments

• Eastman_Kodak__KAC-9628__0.pdf
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 288
Sorry, but I'm just not that curious. Something like this, I'd go with off the shelf. Save a couple hundred dollars, several months of aggravating work, and still not be happy with the results, end up buying a ready made solution anyway. I don't know your level, or skills, this one is beyond mine, by a considerable measure. This is more of a team project.

"Sorry, but I'm just not that curious. Something like this, I'd go with off the shelf. Save a couple hundred dollars, several months of aggravating work, and still not be happy with the results, end up buying a ready made solution anyway. I don't know your level, or skills, this one is beyond mine, by a considerable measure. This is more of a team project."

thanks for ur help anyways.iam just doing it for a competition ,not a leisure time work.iam trying if someone here could help me with.As you said its way complicated because of the complexity involved,but i have stated my reason.Still i hope someone could give me a gr8 solution.

It's a lot easier to engage problems which you think you can solve, instead of hoping that an Internet forum will magically provide the answer for you.

I'd say that your best bet is to get as much of the rest of the project working and testing while you work out how to do the wireless part. Use a direct wire link for initial testing of the transmitter's encoding hardware (and software) and of the receiver's decoder.

I would recommend using pre-made wireless modules (Google for "wireless video transmission" or similar) to handle the wireless portion of the link.

Torben

...anyway thanks for ur suggestions..the problem is building a wireless link is easy e.g u can use some rf chips that is available.no problem about that..infact i have made a block on that.The problem is the data which comes out of the image sensor its about 113 Mbps....so its a huge amount of data to be transmitted.so i decided to use a video codec chip(compression chip )i decided to use a jpeg 2000 compression chip.
the thing iam not able to understand is how much it finally gets compressed???the input data i give to the chip is 113 Mbps ....what is the output compressed data ????(according to the datasheet)

Attachments

• ADV202.pdf
    592.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
...anyway thanks for ur suggestions..the problem is building a wireless link is easy e.g u can use some rf chips that is available.no problem about that..infact i have made a block on that.

DIY RF is not easy for the beginner unless you use RF chips, as you say--which is exactly what I suggested. Let the chip designers handle the hard parts.

Can we see the datasheet?

Torben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…