Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overcurrent protection using dsPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

variaseng

Hi, I'm planning on creating a microcontroller circuit that measures the current in a 5 dc servo motors (using shunt resistor current sensing and PIC ADC) and does an error handling procedure when overcurrent is detected. However, the only specifications I have of the motors I'm using is that three of them have 30W motor capacity and 2 of them have 11W motor capacity. How do I know when the motors are experiencing overcurrent? Thank you very much!

You could do it by observation.

Measure the current during normal use in the application. Then measure it at stall.

Pick the over current limit above normal but below stall.

You can slowly move the limit down to the point where it triggers in normal operation once in a while. Then bump it back up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back