Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overcurrent vs Overthermal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
It's pretty obvious about the difference between overcurrent and overthermal protection, but why are they both needed (in some cases). Isn't the whole point to keep the unit from overheating? If so for a power application (like motor drive), from the perspective of protecting the device (not powering monitoring or anything else), who cares how much current is being pulled unless it overheats the unit? Can't this be done with just overthermal protection?

i'm no expert yet, but I imagine there is overcurrent protection because the current coming in a surging manner will cause a reaction alot faster than overheating. It takes time for a unit to heat up, at least more time than it takes current to cause damage. Time would be the reason, I think.

Yeah, I believe excessive current can cause localized destructive hot spots. Due to the thermal time constant of the die and package, the thermal sensor will not detect these hot spots rapidly enough to avoid damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back