Overshoot and ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

doofus32

Today, in high speed IC, the rising time for the output is often shorter than 1 ns.

This cause ringing on the line. This ringing will cause the voltage to go over the voltage that are sendt out. In the teori the double voltage.

Will this double voltage have the possibility to damage the input/output of the IC/Other IC on the board.

Reply on another forum:

I wonder, can the protection diodes handle this overshoot then? Or can the protection diodes get damages? How can I calculate how much current that will flow into those protection dioes?

Another "silly" question. The termination resistors vil develop some small amount of power. How much can the handle.

In your last example:
16.5mA x 16.5mA x 80 = 0.02W (For an very short time)

Most resistors can handle less than 0.01W, even much less. (The small array resistor that are used on busses)
Can these resistors handle the extra power developed for the short time?

I asume the value the resistor producer gives us is the RMS value, is that right.

Most SMT resistors I've seen can handle 100mW so I think you'll be alright with a 10mW pulse.

The power levels you've calculated represent the peak power. The RMS power will depend on the duty cylce of the pulses.

I used to design bus based system boards, and we always used an active terminator vs. the passive ones you described. Check into it.

The protection diodes place in the input stages of most high speed ICs can handle voltages MUCH higher than what you are talking about. They are typically meant as 'ESD protection diodes', so can handle orders of magnitude higher voltage than you are discussing.

I have only seen a single case in which a device was damaged by excessive overshoot/undershoot. It happened on a PCI-X input device, and only when you applied a -2V/1A bias to the input pin. This NEVER occurs in a real system, and most devices can easily handle the overshoots that occur on unterminated busses.

What you need to do:

1. Look at the datasheets for the devices you are talking about. Are there input clamps (The ESD diodes I'm talking about)
2. Look at the datasheets for the devices you are talking about and look for 'maximum voltage' specs on the input lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…