Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P-n-P Fails to recognize new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
Now a have another computer issue. My laptop doesn't recognize a USB connected device. It shows a message: "A problem occurred during hardware installation. You're new hardware may not work properly." But it works perfectly on my desktop. I'll also add that I use many USB periphreals with my laptop. Both systems run Windows XP Pro SP3. Where should I start looking? Could it be the USB drivers? A registry problem? Thanks!

Thanks Mickster, I'll give it a try and report back how it works. I'm always amazed that people write software and just give it away.

It may be a case of you plugged the USB device in before the driver was installed... In several instances with XP and one with Vista this has resulted in the same problem has you have and I was never able to fix it, you're supposed to be able to reset the USB device enumeration (which is where the problem occurs) but I've never had any luck. USBDeview is supposed to help but again in the case I had nothing worked at all.

You can try a different USB port as well this will force enumeration again. But make sure drivers are installed first.

Actually, it's supposed to work without the driver installed. Windows is supposed to recognize new hardware and notify the user that the driver needs installation. The user then choses from where the driver is installed, or else directs Windows to search for the driver. It works just like that on my desktop. I've tried manually installing the driver, but windows doesn't recognize it. So, I'll see if USBDeview can help a lttle later today.

Update: the FAE thinks my USB port might not have enough 'juice' to power the device. I'll need to try to fine a powered USB hub to use. USBDview was a bust. I'll update later.

Well, using a powered USB hub didn't make any difference. Changing USB ports didn't help. I didn't get USBDview to run on my computer. Does anyone know of another program that will help me debug this problem? I just want to see what the computer is reading from the device, if it's data or garbage. Thanks.

BTW, if I didn't say this, the device works fine on my desktop at home. So I can actually use it, but I'd still like to resolve this issue.

What's the issue regarding USBDeview? My old machine was running XP SP3 and it worked fine on that one.

When I try to install it, it says "Installer not available for your country" I'll look at the site again and see if I might have gotten the wrong version or something.

I know this may sound dumb but, did you check if it's enabled USB in your BIOS settings?

If it makes any difference, I had v1.40 installed and had no problems.
The current version is v1.96.
You may wish to find a previous version and see if that works for you....I hope it does.

KV, USB has to be enabled... It wouldn't give an error that tells you a device had problems if it wasn't on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back